Metro Inflator Pump Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-02-2007   #1

Metro Inflator Pump Questions

I just got this pump but I got the cigarette light adapter and not the alligator clips....so 2 questions.

1. Could I cut off the cigarette lighter adapter and put on alligator clips? The pump is set up for 12v so i think thats ok, but I'm not sure if there is any difference in the amps between pulling directly off the battery vs. the lighter.

2. The pump leaks air out of the side. I think I saw someone else with this pump and they had a piece of duct tape over it. It doesn't look broken it looks like it was designed this way...maybe for cooling. But it pumps faster when you cover the crack where the air leaks out....Anyone have any experience with this?

pcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007   #2

Davis, California
crack could be some sort of pressure limiter.
Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have the alligator clips and would like the lighter plug. Wanna clip-n-trade?

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrawford View Post

I just got this pump but I got the cigarette light adapter and not the alligator clips....so 2 questions.

1. Could I cut off the cigarette lighter adapter and put on alligator clips? The pump is set up for 12v so i think thats ok, but I'm not sure if there is any difference in the amps between pulling directly off the battery vs. the lighter.

2. The pump leaks air out of the side. I think I saw someone else with this pump and they had a piece of duct tape over it. It doesn't look broken it looks like it was designed this way...maybe for cooling. But it pumps faster when you cover the crack where the air leaks out....Anyone have any experience with this?
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
I have the same pump. It's given me many years of service with no complaints.

1. Yes, you can put aligator clips on the wires. You must pay attention as to which wire you put the red clip on and which one the black clip goes on. In other words.......there is a positive and negitive wire going to the motor in the pump. If you reverse them, you will fry the motor. I would also solder the wires to the aligator clips, for a better connection.

2. You should seal the pump where it leaks air. I'd use wide electrical tape as it lasts longer and seals better than duct tape. Yu could also take it apart and put some type of material, like weatherstrip foam tape, between the two metal housings. All the cooling air comes in the back. I've never had a problem with mine overheating.

I marked the ends of mine Suck and Blow with a magic marker. If I'm rolling my boat for long transport, I use the Suck side get all the air out for a quicker and tighter roll. I also take along a jumpstart battery so I don't have to use a vehicle. They don't really draw a lot of amps as it doesn't take away much of the charge of my jumpstart battery.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #5

golden
Have you ever drained your car battery using these pumps?
Do you need to run your car while filling your raft?
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Never drained my battery with the Metro. It just doesn't take that long to fill up a raft, cat or ducky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
Have you ever drained your car battery using these pumps?
Do you need to run your car while filling your raft?
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I drained my subby battery blowing up my boat with a metro. Might as well leave it running just in case!
coloradopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #8
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
Not sure about the metro but i have the LVM Inflator Pump and if you run your car while operating the pump, you create to many amps and will burn up the pump. Usually what I do is fill a raft, start the car run a few minutes, cut it off then fill another raft and so on.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
That makes sense, JBL, since most alternators put out around 14.5 volts to the battery in order to charge it. I'm sure filling several boats could kill your battery. How new and good of a battery your car has in it, all plays into the equation. Best to use a friends car when possible.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote