merino wool - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-19-2012   #1

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
merino wool

i've always been a polypro base layer kind of guy in the duckie and raft and it's worked out well.

with all the merino wool stuff out these days, i was wondering how well it works for a 'gonnna' get wet' base layer in the boats. it won't dry fast like a polypro but will still keep you warm when wet. wicking propeties?

was hoping someone would chime in with their experiences and opinions.

thanks, bob

86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86304 View Post
i've always been a polypro base layer kind of guy in the duckie and raft and it's worked out well.

with all the merino wool stuff out these days, i was wondering how well it works for a 'gonnna' get wet' base layer in the boats. it won't dry fast like a polypro but will still keep you warm when wet. wicking propeties?

was hoping someone would chime in with their experiences and opinions.

thanks, bob
I presume you're talking under gear like a dry top or splash top? I use wool almost exclusively under everything from skiing to paddling (I have an nrs top I'll use under my dry top sometimes). Wool doesn't really wick so much as breathes. It does dry slower if it gets drenched though the properties of wool are such that you have to have a good bit of water to get it water logged as wool is naturally slightly hydrophobic. I wear a thin layer under my dry top for cooler runs if I need a layer, and I have various weights the colder it gets. I'll take wool any day over synthetic. The major bonus is that it doesn't retain body odor anything like synthetics.
Old 07-19-2012   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I too am using merino wool exclusively. Both boating and skiing. socks to hat.

Poly pro sucks and stinks. Wool never seems to get stinky.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012   #4

Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
Ditto on the wool. I have a one piece merino ninja suit that I wear under my drysuit and love it. It is a bit more delicate than most base layers though so expect to replace it sooner if you use it all the time.
Old 07-19-2012   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
i love wool

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #6

Lewistown, middle of MT
Love wool. It really does keep you warm even when soaking wet. It is well worth the cost. The other thing I like is that polypro starts to stink after a few days on the river. My wool was fresh as a daisy even after 23 days on the river.
Old 07-20-2012   #7

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Wool rocks and you can go a long time between washes and it doesn't start stinking right after you wash it. I have a smart wool t-shirt a light weight and medium weight top and layer as needed.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I work for GoLite and we're making nice wool base layers now. Plus we sell 'em at wholesale. Check the website or your local GoLite store.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #9

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I love my wool. I use it for skiing and rafting. I buy locally at melanzana made in leadville
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #10

prescott, Arizona
thanks guys and gals,

all the info was great. i love my merino socks and was thinking of upgrading to some merino tops and bottoms. you probably think us arizona folks are warm water boaters but our season is feb. thru early may.

now is the time to pick up the deals on winter clothes.

i appreciate your input (as always).

bob
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote