Memorial of some sort near Westwater (Cisco) takeout. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-16-2012   #1

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Memorial of some sort near Westwater (Cisco) takeout.

There's a gold spray painted wine bottle snd vine and a gold spray painted can in the alcove of last giant rock wall river right 100 yards from Cisco ramp. Curious if anyone knows what the significance is.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012   #2

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Gold spray paint and wine bottle

Maybe thirsty Huffers...
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #3

Hi,

Folks have been putting stuff there for years. It's almost time for the jack-o-lanterns to appear.

On top that ledge, at its downstream point, there is a real memorial. The story I heard was that it was for several hunters who died decades ago, when they tried running the canyon in some kind of skiff or rowboat.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012   #4

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Charlie Ray Sherrilli is the name on memorial up on hill at takeout. Says, lost in Westwater Canyon November 1970.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #5

alta, Utah
My understanding is that this marker occurred as a result of a group who had motored in below Last Chance in a small boat for a late season hunt on the river left side and overturned.. I may have read it in "Westwater Lost and Found."
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #6
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The Flower Power River People will be putting a gold daffodil up there next trip.
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #7

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
That's the "Smoker Hole". All kinds of goodies are left in there. You can get up on the ledge and kinda stand up in a cave.

When I've got a first timer on my boat, I'll make up some story as to why they need to go in the cave, then move the boat and make 'em swim to Cisco.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #8

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquido View Post
The Flower Power River People will be putting a gold daffodil up there next trip.
Thank them for me. Ugly 'ol nature can use some sprucing up with some trinkets from humanity. Tell them they should also volunteer for Christo, who finally has the sense cover-up that ugly 'ol Arkansas river...
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #9

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
FUCK CHRISTO, HARD!!!!
RockyMt.Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You guys are talking about the "Shrine" I've seen lots of cool things in there, including a journal that lots of folks wrote in. It's kind of cool to see where people you know wrote poetry, put down funny things or just told about their trip. I'll usually leave a can of beer there for someone that comes along later, I've seen lots of fun and profound things in it.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote