MeGa RoCkEr (versus) BuRn LaRgE - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-17-2007   #1

Kayak SalesMAN
MeGa RoCkEr (versus) BuRn LaRgE

Okay, here the deal. Iím getting a new Creeker this year. Iím 6í2Ē, 210 lbs. Iíve been paddling a Jefe for 2 years now and I want to try something else.

I like the Jefe, but I donít love it. Itís been a good kayak, but itís been tricky trying to master the edging of it, and it tends makes me nervous pealing in and out of eddyís.

I have narrowed my search to either the Large Burn, or the Mega Rocker.

Here are the reasons why I like these completely different kayaks:

The Mega Rocker:

I like the MegaRocker because it is made with strong ass crosslink plastic that can take a beating. I also like it because it has a bunch of volume which makes it float higher; in addition the large cockpit makes for easy exit, and I believe makes it much safer. I like the length, which makes it fast for punching holes, which is essential with that kind of volume, the same volume that could get you stuck in a hole. I also like the round displacement hull. This is a creek boat right? So a round hull just makes sense. You want your boat to roll easily over rocks and obstacles. (Seems obvious enough). I also love the room the MegaRocker offers for long trips and overnighters. Itís pretty nice how the bulkhead is designed to provide easy access for bow storage. Talk about comfortable; have you sat in one of these bad boys? Big and roomy, this kayak is so easy to adjust and the outfitting is simple and convenient, (I donít know how bomber, however)? The little string holding the entire bulkhead makes me nervous. Plus thereís only one hole in the kayak, the drain plug, I love it.

The Large Burn:

Despite all the positives of the MegaRocker, the Large Burn keeps callin my name. I havenít gotten to paddle one but it just looks so nice. I love the 80 gallons of goodness, everything just seems to be in the right place. I love the lightweight bomber outfitting, despite all the freaking holes they had to drill in the boat. The hull is aggressive with one hell of an edge on it. But that edge must be nice to have when your haulin ass down stream and you really need to carve that sucker into that ďmust makeĒ eddy. The bow and stern rocker is not huge but looks good enough, and must make for a fast kayak. The bow itís self is not that big and it seems like it wonít stay on the surface like the Jefe or Mega do. The colors are gorgeous, but plastic itís self just seems thin? If you rap on it with your knuckles, it even sounds brittle, thin, and frail. Stick your head in one, and with enough light it appears you can see through it. Makes me nervous. I love the look of the boat, and it is much lighter than the Mega. Iím sure it would be a blast to paddle, I guess I just have some doubts as to how much of a true ďCREEKERĒ it really is?

Any thoughts?

bIgWaVeDaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007   #2

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Okay here goes (let the flaming begin), it really depends on what your interests are. Both boats are great but have slightly different intended purposes and strengths.

My take on the creeker debate is if you're looking to do lower volume class V-VI steep creeking you want a boat with a displacement hull to dissipate energy from big drops and to deflect off rocks easier. If you looking for a creeker to run harder stuff a little more often or when flows get high but plan to be play boating most of the time a flat bottom creeker with chines is a better choice because it will paddle similarly. That being said lots of people use flat bottom creekers while steep creeking and displacement hull boats in big water and do just fine.

Personally, I've paddled the Jefe for the past two seasons and think itís great. However, I do feel I am a little heavy and big (6'5" 205lbs w/o gear) for the boat so will probably switch to the Jackson Mega Rocker this season unless LL come out with a larger Jefe.
Old 03-18-2007   #3

Burn baby, Burn!

super responsive. still forgiving enough to creek. fine in shallows, never caught an edge even on shallow cb creeks. you can get out of holes.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008   #4

asheville, North Carolina
BURN!

Been paddling the Burn for 3 years. Wouldn't paddle anything else. Something to consider-30 years of designing river running kayaks backs all Pyranha boats. The Burn is a river running boat, and a creek boat. Plastic holds up fine. Not a full displacement hull, but the boat goes where you want it to. Try it, it wont let you down. There is also the new Everest for those stout dudes looking to loft over the gnar gnar with gear in the rear!
demshitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by demshitz View Post
Been paddling the Burn for 3 years. Wouldn't paddle anything else. Something to consider-30 years of designing river running kayaks backs all Pyranha boats. The Burn is a river running boat, and a creek boat. Plastic holds up fine. Not a full displacement hull, but the boat goes where you want it to. Try it, it wont let you down. There is also the new Everest for those stout dudes looking to loft over the gnar gnar with gear in the rear!
this is a year old post
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #6

asheville, North Carolina
oh...

yea i just realized that...thanks im not a pro with this forum. I was wondering when the one dude was talking about a bigger jefe...which is out now...but still not as nice as da burn.
demshitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #7

good reading though

Quote:
Originally Posted by demshitz View Post
yea i just realized that...thanks im not a pro with this forum. I was wondering when the one dude was talking about a bigger jefe...which is out now...but still not as nice as da burn.
I am trying to figure out which creek boat to get....keep some info coming. How do you feel about your creek boats now?
rogerL1961 is offline   Reply With Quote