Meeker - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-09-2010   #1

Meeker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Meeker

I'll be living in Meeker, all summer, and most of the fall. Any beta for the area? I paddle mostly IV, some V, both creek and playboat, and dabble a bit with squirting. Thanks.

bdisposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Wheeler, Norman, and everybody else over there will lose their minds if you put a boat on the White. But the good news is: There's no reason to put on the White, although I have heard of some boating on the upper South Fork.

Get to know Glenwood.
widewhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #3

The next zone, .
Ok just a few things that will help..

Get a camo hat (a good one in max 1 or outfitter camo this will get you the most points with the locals) and bend the brim into a tight C shape...

Next get a proper pair of work boots that is broken in to the point of fallin off your feet.

If you dont already start to chew "hegan"...

Cool if you voted for Obama but if you still got the sticker on your car take it off as it could get you killed and replace with the "Life time member of the NRA".. Aslo look into the sticker of calvin pissin on the PETA logo - it just could save your life... Bonus points for stickers of huge mule deer or elk racks if well placed in the back window.

If you have a subary sell it right away and buy a chevy, dodge, or ford truck.. Very important that you stick to these 3 brands..

Learn where the Trading Post is... Best cuts of meat anywhere in that area with Aspen/gwood included... Hard to find a quality bucher this day in age and Meeker has one of the best..

Find the Buford Rd and practice drivin it as fast as you can.. Kinda longer than goin through Rifle to get to Gwood but way more fun..

Gwood and wave is not that far away and that is good.. Neither is Crieg and that is bad..

Realize that hunting is not a activity but rather a religon..

Not a bad place over all just a bit on the "red" side of things... Norman's ranch is up for sale and if I could con anyone out of loanin me the 30 mil needed to buy her - that is where I would live out the rest of my days!!
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010   #4

front range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
welcome to the state bdis -

I recently returned to paddling wafer thin glass and poly boats and can report that there's fun to be had in Glenwood Canyon including below No Name at real high high flows + easy access from the neighborhood - and if you don't mind making the drive a couple of places on the Arkansas at Buena Vista, Browns Canyon and, downstream of Salida is a bona-fide sink spot where the Rincon Rendezvous is held in August. It's the largest squirt boat festival in the Inter-mountain West. ! The water is alot colder than back east but warms up later in the season.

Announcements for the Rinkon Rendezvous are posted on the Buzz and on the Angst message board.

syontr
whitewater golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #5
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Just zip over Ripple Creek to the boat the Boat!
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Hey Whale. Great description of Meeker. Just wondering what the response has been to boaters on the White. I know it's supposed to be taboo, but what do they actually do? Sheriff? Fences?
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #7

Paddling Since: 1979
Cross Mountain on the Yampa if you get here while there is still good run-off. Short but intense.
minerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #8

Jacksonville, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNEK View Post
Ok just a few things that will help..

Get a camo hat (a good one in max 1 or outfitter camo this will get you the most points with the locals) and bend the brim into a tight C shape...

Next get a proper pair of work boots that is broken in to the point of fallin off your feet.

If you dont already start to chew "hegan"...

Cool if you voted for Obama but if you still got the sticker on your car take it off as it could get you killed and replace with the "Life time member of the NRA".. Aslo look into the sticker of calvin pissin on the PETA logo - it just could save your life... Bonus points for stickers of huge mule deer or elk racks if well placed in the back window.

If you have a subary sell it right away and buy a chevy, dodge, or ford truck.. Very important that you stick to these 3 brands..

Learn where the Trading Post is... Best cuts of meat anywhere in that area with Aspen/gwood included... Hard to find a quality bucher this day in age and Meeker has one of the best..

Find the Buford Rd and practice drivin it as fast as you can.. Kinda longer than goin through Rifle to get to Gwood but way more fun..

Gwood and wave is not that far away and that is good.. Neither is Crieg and that is bad..

Realize that hunting is not a activity but rather a religon..

Not a bad place over all just a bit on the "red" side of things... Norman's ranch is up for sale and if I could con anyone out of loanin me the 30 mil needed to buy her - that is where I would live out the rest of my days!!
That's hilarious -- what's the drink of choice? Will any domestic beer do?

Adayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
Hey Whale. Great description of Meeker. Just wondering what the response has been to boaters on the White. I know it's supposed to be taboo, but what do they actually do? Sheriff? Fences?
Both.
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
white river

What is different about the White? Can a Sheriff ticket you for just floating through private property?