Mee Corner Groover Alert - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-16-2011   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Mee Corner Groover Alert

Just got home from a great few days on Ruby-Horsethief. Weather was spectacular, water level is nice, and this time of year the traffic was minimal. Some nice new campsites I didn't see last year. Even saw two different boats float by after dark (full moon!!)

One problem. When we got down to Knowles it dawned on me that the fairly new groover, placed inconspicuously for my grandkids with a nice river view on the upstream side of the Mee Corner landing, got left there.

I'm not expecting to get it back, but wanted to alert any of you going down there in the next week or so, that you can take it. Hate to have it go waste (pun intended).

If anyone is from the Front Range area and brings it back, I will reimburse you for your time and effort (beer or something else), but I don't expect that to happen. Just giving a heads up.

openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
I hate when I forget shit........comes with old age.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Don't write it off yet. There's a good chance it'll wind up at the Westwater ranger station. Try calling the BLM Moab District river office tomorrow am and reporting it to lost and found, then when you get word its there, you can put out your offer for someone heading out to WW to bring it back to the 'Range. They toss it in back of their truck before running shuttle, then you can come pick it up wherever they live in the Metro area. Who knows, it may even make its way back to Longmont if the stars align.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011   #4

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I am running Westwater on Tues 10/18 and Wed 10/19. My buddy is coming up from Boulder running it with us and heading back to the FR on Thursday. Take Andy's advise and if it turns up I will be happy to get it to Vail, then on down to Boulder. I am not leaving the Vail area until after 3pm tomorrow, I know the rangers answer the phones from 8-12. Paul 970-331-1941.

PS, I do have room for two people on my permit if you got a boat...
Vailboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #5

Longmont, Colorado
Vail and Andy -
Thanks for the encouragement and the ideas. I'll be waiting to hear anything, and hope I can let you know. Thanks for the offer to run WW. Two problems for me taking advantage of your generous offer to run that stretch - I have a job M-Th and can't get off. More to the point, I'm a chicken to run Westwater
Old 10-16-2011   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Open Boat Steve,

I'll be running RH on Wednesday and Thursday and then WW on Friday and Saturday. One of our crew is from Boulder and I'm sure that he will bring it back to the front range for you, if we can find it. We will look for it when we go past Mee Corner and hopefully we will find "your shit". I'll keep my eyes on this post just in case it's found before Wednesday. I'd sure feel happy if we, or someone else, finds it for you; and if you have any other specific points as to where to find it, just let me know. Peace.
Old 10-17-2011   #7

Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
haha. of course it will be there. I dont know anybody that would take a full groover. i dont even want to carry my own groover.
studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #8

Longmont, Colorado
Barney-
That would be great. It is NOT full. Used once by one young grandson and once by an adult. If you pull in to the Mee Corner "beach" and walk up onto the bench, turn left and walk upstream about 75' and it is just left of the cottonwood growing there - full view of the river. It is a white plastic porta-potty, and it probably wouldn't hurt to run a strap around it to keep the lid down and the bottom from accidently detaching (though the bottom is fully sealed).
Old 10-17-2011   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Open Boat,

It was once said, "Where there is a stink of shit, there is a smell of being." We'll get it for you, and send it home to you. Sounds like an old Coleman groover I used to have, so I'm familiar with how to keep it from sprouting a leak.
Old 10-20-2011   #10

Longmont, Colorado
I know Barney is out on the river now, probably trying to find the groover at Mee. I had contacted the Westwater ranger a few days ago in case it was turned in. Today got a note that they found it and took it to the ranger station at Westwater, so Barney will not find it. In case Barney doesn't check with the ranger and it gets left at Westwater, is there anyone from the Front Range running Ruby or Westwater in the near future willing to bring it back?