medano creek? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-29-2009   #1

Denver,, exhaustion
medano creek?

Does anybody know if Medano Creek is doable?
I Know it flows through the sand dunes and would be pretty thin there but was curious about the upper sections.

Thanks in advance

adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It doesn't drain a large enough area to have sufficient flow. It drains the west side of the Sangre's, which is notoriously dry. Looking at Medano for boating purposes is akin to trying to boat Cottonwood or Crestone creeks. Most of the snow from the Sangre's melts off the eastside (Wet Mountain Valley). Grape creek drains a comparitively large area and might run for a week or two in a super heavy snow year.
If you are looking for a 1st descent, I have been planning to clean and run upper Chalk creek this season (Alpine to Cascade) looks like fun class IV.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
There's not much there. Lots of beaver ponds up top, maybe a mile or two of rocky streambed and then the surging portion adjacent to the dunes. Here's a photo of Molly running the Medano Creek gnar:

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009   #4

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
It doesn't drain a large enough area to have sufficient flow. It drains the west side of the Sangre's, which is notoriously dry. Looking at Medano for boating purposes is akin to trying to boat Cottonwood or Crestone creeks. Most of the snow from the Sangre's melts off the eastside (Wet Mountain Valley). Grape creek drains a comparitively large area and might run for a week or two in a super heavy snow year.
If you are looking for a 1st descent, I have been planning to clean and run upper Chalk creek this season (Alpine to Cascade) looks like fun class IV.

Imyers,

I'm not looking for a 1st D, but would love to join you on the chalk creek action! Keep me posted, I'm definitely interested in the trip. Thanks!

Cheers!

-Nick
Old 12-30-2009   #5

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
I spent the past two summers working at Great Sand Dunes. Medano is not runnable. Like Dan and Imyers said, too many beaver dams and fallen tree's. Even if you cleaned it all up, there is still nothing there. I've got I think the only 1st D of Medano and that constists of a 1/8th mile section along the Dunes when I got bored last summer, oh a a screaming 1st D of the Castle Creek sand field. playboats make great sleds, just remember to bail before you vertical piton into the 90 degree bend at the bottom.

Upper Sand Creek on the other hand has a 1st D possibility. But it requires a hike in and out and only about 2 miles of runnable water. Drops about 1500 ft too, but the biggest thing is a 30ft stair stepping falls into 2ft of water.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote