McDonald Creek/Boating in Glacier NP? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2006   #1

Seattle, Washington
McDonald Creek/Boating in Glacier NP?

On the way home for our Flathead trip we took the drive up the going to the sun road -- as magnificent as I remember it being.

We did some scouting on McDonald creek on the way back down -- looked like a stellar IV-V creek run with a long II-III section above the creeky stuff. A probable portage around a mini gorge with a sketchy 15-footer at the entrance to the gorge. A two-tiered slide ... 30' or so? Some other fun bedrock ledge drops.

Has it been run? Is it legal to boat in Glacier? We saw some playboats cartopped, but nobody boating ... flow look ideal. we were drooling but couldn't find any info on legality. Way too roadside to try to poach.

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2006   #2

I think its been run as an obvious poach. I don't think its legal. But, I'm not an expert on the area by any means. I've heard that it looks amazing.
Old 07-27-2006   #3

Seattle, Washington
I was able to find a little info here:

"The section of Upper McDonald Creek between Mineral Creek and Lake McDonald is closed to all types of boating and floating to protect nesting Harlequin ducks."

from http://www.nps.gov/glac/activities/boating.htm

Bummer. Some really fun looking stuff in there. Not sure how all the yahoos traipsing along the river are less damaging to habitat than kayaks, but what do I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2006   #4

Should be open october through march

If it's closed year round that's news to anyone up here and something new, restrictions have been from april 1 to sep 30. Usually get a week or two of flows in October, never seen it iced out before april 1. One gorge dumps under a huge boulder suspended between the walls, everything else goes if your up for it. I wouldn't put it past the park service to change shit without notice. Last I knew this was the only resticted water in the park.
bob marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #5
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
anyone know what creek this is on (its in glacier):
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #6

St. Mary's Falls

on Reynold's creek
bob marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #7

Also, Siyeh Creek and Boundary Creek are documented runs...I am sure there are others.

from Boundary:

from Siyeh:

Here is the link to the Boundary TR. Damned if I can find the homepage on that site...
http://www.libertypages.com/chris/pa...%20report.html
jkodadek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #8

Seattle, Washington
wow I wish we'd posted here before our trip. That's a great TR -- loads of ledgey goodness. That right turn zoom flume looks spectacular!

Looks like we gotta get back out to MT.

closest thing to a homepageI can find: http://www.libertypages.com/chris/paddle/runs.html
Old 07-28-2006   #9
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Those photos are great. Do the runs up in that area have a long season? Is some of this still runnable in August, or is it too low now? Thanks for any info.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #10
JJH

looks like some sweet drops,
BUT some of those super lame, no fun slides. To bad.
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote