May 9-12 2013 Rogue trip video - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-30-2013   #1

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
May 9-12 2013 Rogue trip video

Three weeks ago we caught a preview of summer with air temps in the 80s and water temps in the 60s.
Flows were moderate - 2600 rising to 2700cfs on the GP gauge.
Here's a 37 minute video capture that includes a Rainie Falls Middle Chute run in the new Legend and an unfortunate swim of Blossom Bar by a longtime boater after flipping on the Picket Fence.
Everyone was fine in the end.
Time to head to Idaho!
Enjoy!
PLRG Rogue May 2013 - YouTube

malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013   #2
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Schutzie jealous!
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #3

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Looks like a great trip!
Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013   #4

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloypc View Post
Three weeks ago we caught a preview of summer with air temps in the 80s and water temps in the 60s.
Flows were moderate - 2600 rising to 2700cfs on the GP gauge.
Here's a 37 minute video capture that includes a Rainie Falls Middle Chute run in the new Legend and an unfortunate swim of Blossom Bar by a longtime boater after flipping on the Picket Fence.
Everyone was fine in the end.
Time to head to Idaho!
Enjoy!
PLRG Rogue May 2013 - YouTube
Nice vid, I put in on the 14th, was in the 80's all weekend. How people get into trouble on the rogue always amazes me. Why didn't you row out and pick up your friends and then bump the boat to shore. You were lucky blossom has little current or you would of supermaned out of your boat when the slack ran out. I have only thrown one rope and have picked up many swimmers in my time. A rope can only help one person and comes with a good bit of risk.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #5

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Nice vid, I put in on the 14th, was in the 80's all weekend. How people get into trouble on the rogue always amazes me. Why didn't you row out and pick up your friends and then bump the boat to shore. You were lucky blossom has little current or you would of supermaned out of your boat when the slack ran out. I have only thrown one rope and have picked up many swimmers in my time. A rope can only help one person and comes with a good bit of risk.
BB- thanks for the analysis.
Timing a rope throw is a lot more of a sure thing for me than timing running my boat out into the current to intercept a passing boat.
I was pretty confident the flipped boat would self-eddy out in that big left side eddy down below (as it did) but felt it was a good idea to get the inexperienced passenger out of there in case it missed the eddy and proceeded into the Devils Staircase.
Other consideration was the other boats coming down - the rower of the nude Sotar SB reported the following blue cat was also in trouble.
Fortunately that turned out to be just stuck on a rock and not another flip.
In any case, I opted to remain in a position to offer assistance to the rest of the crew as opposed to giving chase to the first boat.
Agree deployed ropes can generally be a concern, but saw little risk in this situation where I was able to simply pendulum the swimmer to shore.
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #6

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloypc View Post
BB- thanks for the analysis.
Timing a rope throw is a lot more of a sure thing for me than timing running my boat out into the current to intercept a passing boat.
I was pretty confident the flipped boat would self-eddy out in that big left side eddy down below (as it did) but felt it was a good idea to get the inexperienced passenger out of there in case it missed the eddy and proceeded into the Devils Staircase.
Other consideration was the other boats coming down - the rower of the nude Sotar SB reported the following blue cat was also in trouble.
Fortunately that turned out to be just stuck on a rock and not another flip.
In any case, I opted to remain in a position to offer assistance to the rest of the crew as opposed to giving chase to the first boat.
Agree deployed ropes can generally be a concern, but saw little risk in this situation where I was able to simply pendulum the swimmer to shore.
To be honest, I just hate repacking a throwbag so I just row out and grab em. Glad it worked. Im gonna dig up a old pic of blossom and post it so you can give your buddy chit. It's of my mom rowing me through when I was six years old in a 12' udisco bucket with a homemade chitty wooden frame.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #7

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
We ran it May 3-5 with equally gorgeous weather. Nice use of the Shook Twins in the video.
Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote