May 9-12 2013 Rogue trip video - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-30-2013   #1
 
malloypc's Avatar
 
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 260
May 9-12 2013 Rogue trip video

Three weeks ago we caught a preview of summer with air temps in the 80s and water temps in the 60s.
Flows were moderate - 2600 rising to 2700cfs on the GP gauge.
Here's a 37 minute video capture that includes a Rainie Falls Middle Chute run in the new Legend and an unfortunate swim of Blossom Bar by a longtime boater after flipping on the Picket Fence.
Everyone was fine in the end.
Time to head to Idaho!
Enjoy!
PLRG Rogue May 2013 - YouTube

malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2013   #2
Old Guy in a PFD
 
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,106
Schutzie jealous!
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #3
 
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 109
Looks like a great trip!
Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2013   #4
 
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloypc View Post
Three weeks ago we caught a preview of summer with air temps in the 80s and water temps in the 60s.
Flows were moderate - 2600 rising to 2700cfs on the GP gauge.
Here's a 37 minute video capture that includes a Rainie Falls Middle Chute run in the new Legend and an unfortunate swim of Blossom Bar by a longtime boater after flipping on the Picket Fence.
Everyone was fine in the end.
Time to head to Idaho!
Enjoy!
PLRG Rogue May 2013 - YouTube
Nice vid, I put in on the 14th, was in the 80's all weekend. How people get into trouble on the rogue always amazes me. Why didn't you row out and pick up your friends and then bump the boat to shore. You were lucky blossom has little current or you would of supermaned out of your boat when the slack ran out. I have only thrown one rope and have picked up many swimmers in my time. A rope can only help one person and comes with a good bit of risk.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #5
 
malloypc's Avatar
 
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Nice vid, I put in on the 14th, was in the 80's all weekend. How people get into trouble on the rogue always amazes me. Why didn't you row out and pick up your friends and then bump the boat to shore. You were lucky blossom has little current or you would of supermaned out of your boat when the slack ran out. I have only thrown one rope and have picked up many swimmers in my time. A rope can only help one person and comes with a good bit of risk.
BB- thanks for the analysis.
Timing a rope throw is a lot more of a sure thing for me than timing running my boat out into the current to intercept a passing boat.
I was pretty confident the flipped boat would self-eddy out in that big left side eddy down below (as it did) but felt it was a good idea to get the inexperienced passenger out of there in case it missed the eddy and proceeded into the Devils Staircase.
Other consideration was the other boats coming down - the rower of the nude Sotar SB reported the following blue cat was also in trouble.
Fortunately that turned out to be just stuck on a rock and not another flip.
In any case, I opted to remain in a position to offer assistance to the rest of the crew as opposed to giving chase to the first boat.
Agree deployed ropes can generally be a concern, but saw little risk in this situation where I was able to simply pendulum the swimmer to shore.
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #6
 
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloypc View Post
BB- thanks for the analysis.
Timing a rope throw is a lot more of a sure thing for me than timing running my boat out into the current to intercept a passing boat.
I was pretty confident the flipped boat would self-eddy out in that big left side eddy down below (as it did) but felt it was a good idea to get the inexperienced passenger out of there in case it missed the eddy and proceeded into the Devils Staircase.
Other consideration was the other boats coming down - the rower of the nude Sotar SB reported the following blue cat was also in trouble.
Fortunately that turned out to be just stuck on a rock and not another flip.
In any case, I opted to remain in a position to offer assistance to the rest of the crew as opposed to giving chase to the first boat.
Agree deployed ropes can generally be a concern, but saw little risk in this situation where I was able to simply pendulum the swimmer to shore.
To be honest, I just hate repacking a throwbag so I just row out and grab em. Glad it worked. Im gonna dig up a old pic of blossom and post it so you can give your buddy chit. It's of my mom rowing me through when I was six years old in a 12' udisco bucket with a homemade chitty wooden frame.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #7
 
Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44
We ran it May 3-5 with equally gorgeous weather. Nice use of the Shook Twins in the video.
Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great video Of Warm Springs 2013 with the video! rogi Whitewater Kayaking 12 05-07-2013 08:55 PM
Rogue River trip sbradleyjr Kayaking | Trip Planner 20 05-21-2012 12:07 AM
Video: NF Rogue (Natural Bridge) WillCarson Whitewater Kayaking 0 09-01-2011 12:01 PM
rogue trip report 4/5/11 kaya dog Kayaking | Trip Planner 21 04-11-2011 11:53 AM
9-22-09 Rogue River trip [email protected] Whitewater Kayaking 0 08-30-2009 04:23 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.