Marias River MT - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-30-2013   #1

Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Marias River MT

Anybody know of a takeout between the highway bridge and Loma on the lower Marias River MT.

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013   #2

Heltown, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
I am assuming you mean I-15 area, or the frontage rd, for your highway reference. There are quite a few county roads out there above Tiber Res that you could park. The one that comes to mind is Rt 417. Tiber Res is an issue. Below the reservoir there is axs at Moffit Bridge and County Rd 223 or a nice axs at Loma off 287. What are you gonna do with Tiber? I wouldn't be afraid to door knock any of the ranches out there and ask for axs. It's not a heavily floated stretch and my bet is they will hook you up with parking inside their fences and give you beta on fences. It's a long float to Loma.
Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013   #3

Billings, Montana
Are you rafting the Marias. My neighbor canoes it in the fall.
jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013   #4

Lewistown, middle of MT
We're rafting from Tiber reservoir down. W!e would like to go farther than the highway bridge that runs between Chester and Fort Benton, but we can't find any access except of course at Loma. Wish we had more time it looks like a great float all the way to Loma.
Old 05-30-2013   #5

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Never thought of doing the Marias... That looks like a nice stretch of river between Hwy 223 and Loma.
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #6

Billings, Montana
Did u find a takeout. My neighbor went all the way to loma, but said there's a guy that does shuttles. He said its allot like the smith, but different landscape.
jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #7

Lewistown, middle of MT
Due to flood warnings, high chance of gumbo, and flood warnings at home we didn't go. Maybe next year!
Old 06-04-2013   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Dang, you've gotten high-watered out of everything. Did you get out anywhere for your June multiday yet? Did you get on the Yellowstone last month?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #9

Lewistown, middle of MT
We got one day on the Yellowstone and it was great - the maiden voyage of the new raft. We're going to NW Wyoming for our multi day and doing 2 days on the Shoshone and 3 days on the Snake. Not really multi days as we're staying in our trailer and shuttling, but it will be multiple days on the river! Can't wait.
Old 06-04-2013   #10
Einer

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1979
Marias river info

I canoe the Marias occasionally....very slow water with usually low flows controlled by Tiber Dam. Can be muddy along the banks at times and if there is wind, usually it will be a headwind. You may want to reconsider using a raft. The canyon is pretty, it has an old buffalo jump by the river, and it is a fun trip in a canoe or kayak. I have an old handdrawn map of the river that someone gave me about 25 years ago. Drop me an email and I can possibly scan it in and email a copy to you if you are interested.
bgarnick is offline   Reply With Quote