Man Woman Wild Colorado River - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-27-2011   #1
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Man Woman Wild Colorado River

Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online

Not sure if the link will work, but if you're a Netflix subscriber watch the episode titled "Utah" on the show Man Woman Wild. It's pretty interesting. A couple in a rental duckie capsize and do a survival show. It's pretty funny.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I saw that, very entertaining, I got a good chuckle out of it.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #3

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
I happened to catch that one also.It was hard to buy into, knowing that the spot that they"flipped" was only about a 1/4 mile from the highway.I guess there is some educational value to some of those types of shows for a fair number of viewers that haven't gotten off their couch and actually done things outdoors.
coloriverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloriverdude View Post
I happened to catch that one also.It was hard to buy into, knowing that the spot that they"flipped" was only about a 1/4 mile from the highway.I guess there is some educational value to some of those types of shows for a fair number of viewers that haven't gotten off their couch and actually done things outdoors.
For entertainment value only. That show and Man vs Wild pretty much break every safety rule in the game. So if a novice person watches those shows and tries to do that on their own without experience or practice, most likely it would be a much more expensive S&R than if they followed the first principal of being lost.... sit tight and wait for rescue.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Kazak is right on - I hate how 'Man vs. Wild' encourages people to do absolutely stupid and dangerous things in the wilderness. It's reckless. And a lot of people watching the show don't understand just how terrible the 'survival' advice is. I also wish that show's like 'I shouldn't be alive' don't include advice on preventing and properly dealing with the situations the people are in. They could be respectful of the people who lived through those ordeals while also giving solid advice on how to best deal with those situations.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Like this genius? "Lund told rangers he had a sleeping bag, tarp and whistle. He said he planned to spend the night on Tuesday even though he did not get the required backcountry camping permit.Lund also told rangers that he had no water."

Rangers Find Missing Hiker In Deep Snow - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

In my grandpa's day that guy would be dead... just sayin'
Old 10-28-2011   #7
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Uhhhhuh huh, huh huh...Mike Hawke
Old 10-28-2011   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloriverdude View Post
Moab Daily area, right? I wasn't sure but I thought they were right next to the road! I like how they just let their boat float away, how his life jacket was coming up over his head, and how he teaches the viewers to try to stand up in the current!

Really if you haven't seen this yet, it's hilarious. The turkey hunt with home-made bow and arrows is the best part!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #9

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
Yeah, Near Hittle Bottom.
I know that shows like this are produced with the idea that someone will watch it. ( ie: sell commercials = make money) Are they more dangerous than they are informative? I'd say it's a wash. Some people that watch an episode like this will think, "I'm considering renting a ducky... Hmm, Maybe I should consider hooking up with some experienced boaters, rather than going it alone."
Than you have the group, that regardless whether they get accurate or bogus "survival" advise from a television show, will jump into class III water with their kids, on a Walmart pool toy, and misfitting PFD's (or none at all!). No T.V.show can teach common sense. Hopefully,the best outcome is that some of the viewers will recognize their ignorance, and seek out advice from a knowledgeable local resource.
And yes, the turkey hunt was truly hilarious. At least she's easy to look at!
coloriverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #10

G.J., CO
Paddling Since: 1990
I liked seeing the Professor in the background!
Eddy Groover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado river