Maine - anywhere to rent a boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2008   #1

Maine - anywhere to rent a boat?

I'll be visiting Maine from Colorado next week. I was hoping to get a few runs in on the Penobscott, Kennebec and Dead and have been searching and calling outfitterse to see about kayak rentals.

I can not find a boat and paddle to rent in that area (the Forks, Bingham) to save my life.

Any advice? Any other must hit spots during the Week of Sept 27 - Oct 4?

Thanks....

Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Do some sea kayaking or go surf your kayak at the beach. Good swells in Southern Maine around Kennebunk, Wells, and Ogunquit.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #3
Len

Buena Vista, Colorado
if you're flying into boston, there is (or was) a spot on the way up to maine in NH called sunkook kayak. They guy who owns that place is really chill and always had a lot of demo gear. Their website doesn't seem to be up so i'm not sure if they are still in business.

There's also a shop called New England Small Crafts, in MA a bit north of boston. Other than that I can't remember any other shops up in maine. There might be one... try posting on NPMB.com

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008   #4
BC

try the ski rack in Bangor, they were the only shop that carried ww boats back in the day when I went to school near there

Ski Rack Sports Bangor Maine Kayaks, Bikes, Skiis, Snowboards, Camping, Outdoor Gear
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #5

maine is sweet. if the leaves are off the trees there'll be good action on all the rivers with rain.
munter_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC View Post
try the ski rack in Bangor, they were the only shop that carried ww boats back in the day when I went to school near there

Ski Rack Sports Bangor Maine Kayaks, Bikes, Skiis, Snowboards, Camping, Outdoor Gear
Who are you? Maine's a small place, maybe we're friends.

-Tom McKee
[email protected]
Carbondale, CO
backblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #7

Whitefish, Montana
I went to college in Unity and my buddy runs a kayak school.....Maine Kayak....He's a great guy and probably wouldn't mind getting you set up

he's not formal rental but he has a bunch....his name is Alvah and you can tell him Dave sent you.....

You could PM me and I could give you more info

have fun
purpleyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleyak View Post
I went to college in Unity and my buddy runs a kayak school.....Maine Kayak....He's a great guy and probably wouldn't mind getting you set up

he's not formal rental but he has a bunch....his name is Alvah and you can tell him Dave sent you.....

You could PM me and I could give you more info

have fun
hahaaha Yeah, that dirtbag rafter is a good guy
Old 09-21-2008   #9

We used to rent them at Saco Bound in Errol NH, which is right on the border with Maine and I think about 4 hours fron the kennebec and dead. If you go there see if the Rapid or Magalloway are having releases. The Rapid has tricky logistics, but I think its a gem. There are a bunch of other creeks around there too that are rain dependent.
lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #10

All good advice but the Bangor Ski Rack (or Ski Rack Sports as itis now called) is 100% for sure the way to go. I used to work there.

If you have any questions about Maine whitewater, feel free to drop me an email. I lived there for 27 years and I ran every whitewater river I've ever heard of there. Maine is a beautiful, mysterious place. Enjoy your time there.

-Tom
[email protected]

ps. check out the book "let it rain". it's a good NE guidebook.