Main Salmon flow speed - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-05-2012   #1

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Main Salmon flow speed

What can I expect the average river speed to be in August. Is there slow sections or really fast sections. My first time on Main Salmon and just try to figure out the best choices for camp sites to try for. I'm planning on 5 nights on river with a large group (16).

Thanks for any help
Scott

bighorn1478@msn.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The Main Salmon is my favorite river trip. I just finished my 15 trip a few weeks ago. I'll PM you some info.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
river speed
none past the south fork of the salmon. very zzzzzzzzzzzz..... so if ya ain't rowing, ya ain't moving most of the last 25 miles or whatever. well, maybe back up river if you have a nice headwind( and you probably will) ....and want to split hairs.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012   #4
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
none past the south fork of the salmon. very zzzzzzzzzzzz..... so if ya ain't rowing, ya ain't moving most of the last 25 miles or whatever. well, maybe back up river if you have a nice headwind( and you probably will) ....and want to split hairs.
They don't call it the salmon lake for nothing. Just busted off the SFS in jetboat and I felt so bad for all the boaters. 100 degrees and pulling down the lake. There is no excape from the heat. The wind starts blowing up stream in the ealy afternoon so find a camp spot early and bust out of camp early in the lake section. As for camp spots, good luck, the outfitters are thick and know how to get the good ones. But the good news is there are tons of beaches. Bring your own shade!
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
The Main Salmon is my favorite river trip. I just finished my 15 trip a few weeks ago. I'll PM you some info.
Thanks for the great info, we think a like.

Scott
bighorn1478@msn.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #6

NorCal, California
I just got off the Salmon a few days ago with a big group of 23. We took out at Spring Bar which adds about 13 miles to the trip. I'm guessing your taking out at Carey Crk or Vinegar. Pretty good current throughout the river with a couple of slow sections but no big deal if your on the river fairly early around 9. The last day for us was kind of long because it required a 25 mile day to get to Spring Bar, but we were all at the ramp by 4:30. Nothing like the some of the desert southwest rivers imo as far as wind and slow sections. This was my third year in a row running the Salmon around this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What can I expect the average river speed to be in August. Is there slow sections or really fast sections. My first time on Main Salmon and just try to figure out the best choices for camp sites to try for. I'm planning on 5 nights on river with a large group (16).

Thanks for any help
Scott
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #7

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavester View Post
I just got off the Salmon a few days ago with a big group of 23. We took out at Spring Bar which adds about 13 miles to the trip. I'm guessing your taking out at Carey Crk or Vinegar. Pretty good current throughout the river with a couple of slow sections but no big deal if your on the river fairly early around 9. The last day for us was kind of long because it required a 25 mile day to get to Spring Bar, but we were all at the ramp by 4:30. Nothing like the some of the desert southwest rivers imo as far as wind and slow sections. This was my third year in a row running the Salmon around this time.
We went down to Spring Bar in July. First time we've gone past Carey and added those extra 12-13 miles. That was a really fun extra day. We camped at one of the great beaches on river right, so we didn't have the really long day that you had. I've done the MS from June through September for the past ten years, and it's never too low or too slow. The afternoon winds on the MS definitely don't begin to compare to the winds on Deso!!!!! You just have to get your group moving a little earlier on "Salmon Lake" day. At least you pick up speed & rapids on the last day (Vinegar & Chittam). Pics are from our last camp, past Carey Creek.
Old 08-10-2012   #8

NorCal, California
Looks like a nice camp and you had plenty of shade. The more I get a chance to run the Main the more I appreciate it. I like the Spring Bar takeout much better then the zoo at Carey or Vinegar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
We went down to Spring Bar in July. First time we've gone past Carey and added those extra 12-13 miles. That was a really fun extra day. We camped at one of the great beaches on river right, so we didn't have the really long day that you had. I've done the MS from June through September for the past ten years, and it's never too low or too slow. The afternoon winds on the MS definitely don't begin to compare to the winds on Deso!!!!! You just have to get your group moving a little earlier on "Salmon Lake" day. At least you pick up speed & rapids on the last day (Vinegar & Chittam). Pics are from our last camp, past Carey Creek.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #9

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavester View Post
Looks like a nice camp and you had plenty of shade. The more I get a chance to run the Main the more I appreciate it. I like the Spring Bar takeout much better then the zoo at Carey or Vinegar.
One heads up about Spring Bar. It's the put-in for the daily run down to Riggins. We took out at about 11:00am and it was a bit of a zoo with all the commercials dumping their boats & customers. There was also another large private group taking out as well, so it got a little crowded for about 30 minutes, until the commercials got going. But not too bad. I noticed that Carey Creek has upgraded the bathrooms at the ramp. A worthwhile upgrade for sure. That was one perk that Spring Bar offered.....bigger bathrooms/changing rooms and the garbage dumpsters.
We were sure glad we had two tarps along. Group shade & kitchen shade....luxury on the river !!!!!