Main Salmon Fishing ?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-23-2011   #1

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Main Salmon Fishing ??

Any info. on side streams- which ones might fish better?
We could do a lay-over for best fish camp.

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011   #2
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Bargeman (sp?) Creek is one that comes to mind, but any of the larger sidestreams. Small brookies, cuts, rainbows, etc. We caught some good size whitefish at the confluence of the South Fork/Main in that eddy. I caught a rainbow or two and one small bass in the river itself a few years ago. I'm only a part-time fisherman, but my buddy Dave had a blast with flies on the creeks.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've seen a few fly fisherman on Chamberlain Creek and Bargamin Creek. Bull Creek & Sheep Creek are also good sized tributaries. You might get some trout where the creeks and the Southfork come into the main river. Otherwise, I've only caught whitefish in the main river.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011   #4
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Yah come to think of it the trout and one little bass I caught in river were caught near the mouths of streams on spinners. Whitefish were also on spinners. Some small trout on flies near creeks. I didn't fish the creeks myself but was told it was good. I think Dave said he had a 15 fish day at Bargamin. No trophies, but nice fishing.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
We just did 7 days on the Salmon, taking out on the 12. I took both my 4wt and my 8wt, thinking to get down deep with streamers. We fished some side streams -- Bargamin and Sheep creek and had a lot of fun nailing LITTLE rainbows on drys and terrestrials. Not a cuthroat in sight. Think you would have to be willing to walk a ways for those. Saw several other decent sized creeks but didn't fish them. The ranger at the put in doesn't know about fishing so contact the Idaho Fish and game.

I spent some time stripping streamers deep with a sinking line and my big rod. All I got was a very sore shoulder. I'd leave the main stream alone unless you have a spinning rig...and want to go over to the dark side that badly.

The best opportunities I saw were at the inlets where the creeks run into the main and keep it cold. I fished at sheep creek with a number of different hopper patterns and had some intesnse "looks" from some very very big fish...but ended in refusals. I should have tried nymphing there, but left my wets across the river in camp.

You should try so find some Morman Cricket patterns, sizes 6 to 12 or so. They were all over Sheep creeks beach rocks and may elicit a rise better than my hopper patterns.

If you can camp at the South Fork/Main Salmon and walk a ways, you may have some decent luck, it looked to have some lovely riffles and was running colder. We didn't camp so I can't give you a report.

All in all, if I went back, I would probably leave my FF gear at home. We spent 100 on licencess and thats a lot for some baby rainbows.
John_in_Loveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I did see a few Salmon flies when we were on the river last week.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #7

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Thanks for all the help, we put on sept. 1. The "miles per day-Camp info" will be put to good use!