Main Salmon - Bugs/Black Creek??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-08-2011   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Main Salmon - Bugs/Black Creek???

Launching on the Main Salmon at the end of the week. Report from a couple weeks ago was lots of mosquitoes. Any update? Hoping to not need the screen house.

Also, any new beta on Black Creek? Hear it is changing quite a bit as the water drops.

Thanks in advance!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011   #2
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Just got off the main saturday. I didn't have issues with skeedders but evey other bug was out. Black creek was streight foward. Watch for sharp rocks as water goes down.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
In 10+ years of running the Main Salmon I have never had mosquito/bug problems. Now yellow jackets are another matter.....but if you're careful, and check your soda pop can before you guzzle it down, you're OK. A few years ago when we floated through the fires, the yellow jackets were nuts. Flying up shirt sleeves & shorts to sting us. I think the smoke made them crazy.
Anxious to see Black Creek, but I'll be mourning the loss of Salmon Falls. I'll be looking for you on the river Laurie..... 2 canoes & a giant white Paco Pad right?
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011   #4

sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I think I had 1 bite. But there was a girl that served as a decoy, who had a bunch on her legs. I will bring her again. I think they got her when we camped after the take out.

Black Creek was a big drop in, but a straight run. a little right of center. Fun run.

As of 1 week ago.
joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #5

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoolives View Post
I think I had 1 bite. But there was a girl that served as a decoy, who had a bunch on her legs. I will bring her again. I think they got her when we camped after the take out.

Black Creek was a big drop in, but a straight run. a little right of center. Fun run.

As of 1 week ago.
Once you're off the river the mosquitos can be pretty bad. I have friends in McCall and they always have them bad in the summer. I've never seen a mosquito on the river, but maybe the high water has brought them?????
Thanks for the Black Creek info.
KJ
Old 08-09-2011   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I know the skeeters were there a couple weeks ago per friends on another trip. Nice to hear they have subsided. Do the other bugs preclude one from sleeping out and a require a screen tent for the kitchen?

Yes, cataraftgirl, big white paco on a 16' Hyside raft, 2 OC-1s, a kayak and three cats. Hope to see you out there!

Thanks for the BC beta.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #7
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post

Do the other bugs preclude one from sleeping out and a require a screen tent for the kitchen?

Thanks for the BC beta.
I slept out on a cot under a wing every night. It was hot! When I say bugs, I'm thinking spiders, grasshoppers, wasps, and crazy ass brown beatle flying things (stink bugs??). We did see 1 little rattle snake swimming across the river below French creek a couple miles below the take out.

PS. No need for net for kitchen. IMHO
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #8

Sandy, Utah
No need for a screen house. I sleep under the stars on my cot most of the time. I've seen a fair amount of small spiders and daddy long legs over the years. Yellow jackets are usually the biggest bug problem, but not too bad if you don't overstress about them.
KJ
Old 08-09-2011   #9

Just off on Sunday, bugs aren't bad. I got stung by a bee and a yellow jacket both in the first three days though, and my daughter got stung once. Sandals in the kitchen are a good idea. Lot's of gnats. Didn't notice mosquitos. We slept outside some, but the tent was nice for the gnats. Black Creek rapid is way more exciting than the old Salmon Falls (although less freestyle kayaking spectacular). We had boats go down the left channel and the right channel, so if someone tells you an exact line then that's like, just their opinion man. Black Creek Rapid is the crux of the trip (not saying much... it's the main, but a few drops are worth scouting if you have kids on the boats).
Old 08-09-2011   #10

Sandy, Utah
Yellow jackets are always an issue on the Main Salmon. They can be rather annoying, and it's hard to remain calm around them. Good advice on the footgear in the kitchen.

We have a novice rafter on our trip launching this week. Is there a better choice of routes through Black Creek in your opinion? Right vs Left?

Thanks for the info.
KJ