Main Fork of the Salmon Question.... - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-26-2010   #1

Cary, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2000
Main Fork of the Salmon Question....

I have been invited to join a trip on the main fork of the salmon around the beginning of July. The launch date is on a Wednesday and we plan on making it to Shepp Ranch by Saturday. Sunday, Shepp Ranch will Jet boat us to Riggins and then some of the group will drive to Missoula to catch a flight Sunday night. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give an opinion on whether the trip would be worth the time and money due to the limited amount of time planned to be on the river (Wednesday: put on river; Saturday: take out, Shepp Ranch). That would give us four days on the water to get to Shepp Creek Ranch and I am concerned that it would be pushing it. Will we have enough time to enjoy the trip? Thanks in advance for your thoughts

bsmith30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith30 View Post
I have been invited to join a trip on the main fork of the salmon around the beginning of July. The launch date is on a Wednesday and we plan on making it to Shepp Ranch by Saturday. Sunday, Shepp Ranch will Jet boat us to Riggins and then some of the group will drive to Missoula to catch a flight Sunday night. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give an opinion on whether the trip would be worth the time and money due to the limited amount of time planned to be on the river (Wednesday: put on river; Saturday: take out, Shepp Ranch). That would give us four days on the water to get to Shepp Creek Ranch and I am concerned that it would be pushing it. Will we have enough time to enjoy the trip? Thanks in advance for your thoughts

It is a hell of a lot further to Missoula from Riggins than the putin . If they are going to jet boat you anywhere why not take it back to the putin.

I have done the Salmon a few times but never jetted.

Why the hurry?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #3

Cary, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2000
The group has a few people that must get back by monday. The group has been told that it might be difficult to get back up the river in a jet boat in july and that riggins might be the only option. I will be driving, so it is not an issue for me(flight). Also, it is not my decision. My concern is whether or not it is possible/enjoyable to put on the river Wednesday and reach Shepp by Saturday.

Thanks
bsmith30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith30 View Post
The group has a few people that must get back by monday. The group has been told that it might be difficult to get back up the river in a jet boat in july and that riggins might be the only option. I will be driving, so it is not an issue for me(flight). Also, it is not my decision. My concern is whether or not it is possible/enjoyable to put on the river Wednesday and reach Shepp by Saturday.

Thanks
I have seen them uprun at 25K cfs. Is the reason no upstream is because it might be too low by then? Hard to believe. That will be primetime for an upstreamer.

Shepp is 75 miles so a little less than 20 per day. Shouldn't be too hard. River time is always good time. Hope you don't have the upstream winds.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote