Madison, WI kayakers! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-03-2014   #1

Madison, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 2009
Madison, WI kayakers!

I just moved to Madison and want to meet some boaters. I was hoping to get out this weekend if anyone is going. I'd love to go paddle anything that isn't a lake. Let me know if you're from the area!

Samcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014   #2
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
I spent my summers growing up in that area (spring green)... not sure there's much for white water?
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014   #3

golden
you have to go north during the spring or heavy rains
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
Good Memories!

Going to St. Norbert College in De Pere, we'd run the Wolf, Peshtigo (in WI) and the Menominee (in UP). As a matter of fact you can see two of our runs, LOL!

Rafting Wisconsin 1976

(this is TBP admin posting not Lee Arbach).

theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014   #5

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I went to school in Madtown. Lots of good water up north, as mentioned before. Check with the folks at Rutabaga in Madison. Rutabaga Paddlesports Kayak, Canoe and SUP
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #6

Midwest, USA
Paddling Since: 2008
You want this forum for more local boaters.
Rapids Riders Home
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I think Rapids Riders is more MN focused, but they take trips to rivers in WI. The WI boating website is Badger State Boating Society (stands for Badger State Boating Society). Granted, BSBS is basically dead right now.

If you are looking for good whitewater close to Madison, you are basically out of luck. All of the good/decent rivers are in Northern WI at least a 2.5hr+ drive away. You should check out the American Whitewater pages for the Red River, Wolf River, Peshtigo River, Menominee River, Pike River, etc...They are all WI classics. There is also a decent dam released whitewater playpark/slalom course in Wausau, WI. There is a recreational release at Wausau this coming weekend. You will find TONS of other boaters at Wausau releases.

If you want additional info just PM me
BoozeJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #8

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Paddling Since: 1977
And Don't Forget

besides the Peshtigo and Wolf, there are numerous rivers in upper WI and MN, the releases at Wausau and the play parks in Charles City and Elkader Iowa. Lots of water very close to you.
NemoKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
The rapids riders site has the graphs and a decent forum. The Wolf section 3 at the currently listed levels is high quality II/III-. Section 4, which is a fee area (on a reservation) is better. Go up and camp at Bear Paw and paddle either or both.

The community out there is fun. I paddled with them for 4 years. Throw up a post and see what peeps are paddling. There are sure to be paddlers on the wolf at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 09-05-2014   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
It looks like the Wolfman tri is this weekend

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...45261688840066

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz