M-Wave's South Canal may get Hydro Generator - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-30-2009   #1

M-Wave's South Canal may get Hydro Generator

This is pretty cool - it looks like the spot they would put this generation facility is not at the M-Wave spot but upstream at one of the other drops. Additionally, flows would be fully returned to the canal for downstream ag. use/rights. I love the concept of using already diverted flows and not creating a generating facility in actual river. It seems like this could/should be done in canals all over the state. Interested in comments on this from you water managers.

News : 100 years in the making: Local partnership could create electricity for the thousands from South Canal (Montrose, CO)

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009   #2

Golden, Colorado
There was a story on NPR the other day about this. The M-wave was the first thing that came to my mind when I was listening to it. My thought was, "That's the end of that."

Even if they don't put it right on top of the spot then I'd bet that having such a facility in the neighborhood doesn't bode well for playboater access. I grew up in the Grand Valley and, generally, people on the Western Slope don't like it when people play in the canals. Too many kids get electrocuted by irrigation pumps and get sucked into underground sections and stuff like that. My guess is that anything that brings more attention to that stretch of canal is going to make it a lot harder for anyone to play in it.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
I think it is great that they have found a way to use the water for more than one purpose (i.e. power and irrigation). But I don't think it is feasible in most canals. Canals are usually designed to transport water a long way with a minimum amount of drop in elevation. If you ever look closely at a topo map with a bunch of canals on it you'll see that they usually follow the contour lines. Because the power generated is a function of head (i.e. elevation drop) and volume of water moving across that distance, you wouldn't be able to generate much power in most canals.

Still, I think this is a cool project, especially because it is in a canal, and likely won't affect fish populations, or other environmental aspects that you get when you try and do this in a river.
gwheyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009   #4

dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000
there are plenty of fish in the canal. since there is already attention here, anyone going to be there this weekend?
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #5

Update and more information below. I HOPE this doesn't destroy the M-Wave.

Otherwise, at first glance this looks like a project that could be supported. They will have to get a FERC permit and do a NEPA analysis which will tell us more, but everyone I have talked with expects minimal impacts.

Press Release:
http://www.dmea.com/Portals/0/9-26-2...ced--FINAL.pdf

Fact Sheet:
http://www.dmea.com/Portals/0/SouthC...rd_Revised.pdf