m.f. Popo Agie update. - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-18-2009   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
m.f. Popo Agie update.

m.f. popo agie as about to go... david schmitt and i headed over yesterday to check out what 3.3=173 cfs on the NOAA gauge looked like. threw the boats on the back and hiked a ways up the creek to the goods... and skunked out super goodies by 1 to 2 inches. 4 ' on the gauge is probably a good level... should be going in 1 to weeks hell yeah. book description is right on...

here's the sinks canyon gauge i found...
Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Riverton: Middle Fork Popo Agie River at Sinks Canyon

whitewater desciples.... what is the sister gauge referred to in the new testement? would this be the little popo? per usgs?

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
[quote=caspermike;142514]m.f. popo agie as about to go... david schmitt and i headed over yesterday to check out what 3.3=173 cfs on the NOAA gauge looked like. threw the boats on the back and hiked a ways up the creek to the goods... and skunked out super goodies by 1 to 2 inches. 4 ' on the gauge is probably a good level... should be going in 1 to weeks hell yeah. book description is right on...

here's the sinks canyon gauge i found...
Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Riverton: Middle Fork Popo Agie River at Sinks Canyon

10:45pm Mon night, it's already closing in on 500 cfs, too high for the upper and plenty good for the lower. If it stays that way, it'll be good to go this weekend. 500 in the upper and it just comes at you way too fast.
Old 05-19-2009   #3

Mad Scientist/Creeker
We ended up w/ both gauges in the book because we had been using the sister gauge (little popo) and then right before the book went to print we were notified of the noaa gauge by Sarak Kemper and so included that as well. Looking back at it, I see that we didn't quite get enough information in there (no beta on what the sister gauge is and it still says visual cfs... oops). Duly noted. I would look for the visual cfs on the actual middle fork gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009   #4

Bozeman, Montana
when we were there the gauge was 3.31 supposedly 173 cfs i would have to say 100 cfs max. gauge might have been slightly off or something. the boney shit down to the bridge was scrappier than anything i boated before there was a couple of lines in the good stuff but not enought to continue hiking so we put on about 1.2 miles up the trail around the gorge section... i guess a couple inchs in the wide could go along way in the falls section... still needed more though.
the little popo was brown and roaring, the m.f. was clear and prestine. got a little head cam footage and it was micro creeking for sure... its awsome seeing everydrop damn near 5 plus back to back to back to back to back to back to back, and some stompy shit for sure.

wyopaddler... 2 weeks possiblly hit it? i got bozeman this weekend and have been needing to hit you up and go boating...
Old 05-19-2009   #5

@WyoPadlr1 - What do you consider to be an ideal flow to run both the Upper & Lower stretches? I really wanna get up there this season but the drive would be more worth it if I could get on both sections.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2009   #6

Bozeman, Montana
doublet more than likely when one is popping the other isn't, or is to much popping to handle.
Old 05-19-2009   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
@WyoPadlr1 - What do you consider to be an ideal flow to run both the Upper & Lower stretches? I really wanna get up there this season but the drive would be more worth it if I could get on both sections.

Thanks!
I'm sure someone out there will disagree with this, but what the heck: Ideally, IF you're feeling burly, you can show up and stomp the upper on a Saturday at 175-200 and rising, but I personally haven't ever attempted the upper over 225 and have always found it plenty exciting. If it's rising, it can rise really fast, so that on a Sunday the lower can easily be in the 350-500 range, which is plenty there, too. Once it goes over 500, even the lower part of the upper run is outta my comfort zone, and the lower is just a rocket ride of fun, all the way up to the point where the Sinks overflow is running. At that point, it is all just a blur and I have given up just below the drop at the campground bridge a couple of times at that flow. Missing the takeout at those flows has dire consequences.......
Typically, for me, the upper is good at 150-175 because it gives me the time to think, but 200 is pretty smooth, too. It doesn't take much up there for things to get out of control. If it stays warm in the Lander area, it could be huge by the weekend. Hope this helps.

CasperMike: I am hosed for this weekend, too; have family coming to town that wants to do Jellystone, unfortunately. Two weeks from now, the Bear in Grace, ID is going to run again, and I haven't had the chance to do it yet this year since I was on the Grand Canyon for both earlier releases, so will most likely go there to show support for the releases more than anything. After that, the Honeymoon may be the target. Or, if the Popo is still good, will give 'er then.
Old 05-19-2009   #8

Bozeman, Montana
yeah i want to make the jackson rodeo this year the party and kegs always is worth it and the prizes and the waves and the snaggletooth section of the greys fucking awsome fun.. maybe try to get some popo on the way back... honeymoon would be fun you probably be suprised, never hit any clarks fork goods and this is the year. popo should go i remember 2 years ago we were going to get it but opted for bluegrass instead... it was in the end of july and still flowing.... ill hit you up or if you go the way of the clarks fork count me in.
Old 07-13-2009   #9

Bumping up to see if anyone has been over to the Popo lately. Looks like it's at a nice flow...
Old 07-13-2009   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Bunch of Jackson boaters went last weekend over the 4th, great flow then. Getting kind of bony for the lower, coming in to good level for the upper.