Lyons River Roar-Whitewater Festival - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-18-2004   #1
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Lyons River Roar-Whitewater Festival

Come on up to Lyons on June 13th and enjoy a day of whitewater festivities in the cool Town of Lyons. Events include a whitewater rodeo in the Black Bear Hole, a 5-7 km Hare Brain Running Race (similar to a hare and hound running race), a downriver race, and a first-of-its-kind BoaterCross Relay race.

The rodeo is a Colorado Cup whitewater rodeo series event. The Colorado Cup crowns an overall winner based on the standings of paddlers in six whitewater festivals in the state. The Hare Brain Running Race course is not predetermined; runners must follow flour markings laid down by the hare. The first person to catch the hare wins a prize and there will be a men’s and a women’s winner. In the BoaterCross Relay Race, teams consisting of one to four competitors must paddle the whitewater course, run back to the put-in through an obstacle course, and paddle the course again. The first team to complete 4 full laps is the winner. Cash and merchandise will be awarded to the winners of all events. Everyone is a winer so for all others, we have beer provided by Oskar Blues/Dales Pale Ale. The entry fee for any number of whitewater events is $20. The entry fee for the Hare Brain running race is $10.

Schedule –Sunday
Registration 7:30 am - 1 pm
Hare Brain Race 9 am
Downriver Race 10 am
BoaterCross Race 11 am
Rodeo Prelims 1 pm
Rodeo Finals 3 pm
Music 4:30- 9 pm
Awards 6:30 pm

Food, beer and local festivities will be available throughout the weekend. Music will be provided in Meadow Park. Camping is available on the infield of the whitewater course in Meadow Park which has plenty of flat, grassy tent sites as well as bathrooms, charcoal grills, playground equipment, horseshoe pits, and a baseball field. Camping fees are charged per car and are and $10 per night. Registered whitewater event contestants
receive a $5 per night discount. Proceeds go to further improvements in the river and trails around Lyons.

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004   #2

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Right on Arn!!!

You are the man up there in Lyons that all of us boaters need to say more thanks too!!! So... Thanks from me and my crew.

Lyons is a great ww park and I am pumped about the festival.

Craw
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #3
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Attention non-rodeo stars-Sign up for the BoaterCRoss Relay

New Updates for you. I talked with the Water Commissioner this morning and they (City of Longmont) MAY give us a release for the event this coming Sunday if everything works with the calls. Keep your fingers crossed. The Black Bear Hole would be sweet at this level.

Sign up for the Team BoaterCross Race. This should be a BLAST. You don't need rodeo skills, we will have a few gates and an obstacle course. Try and beat the my team "Men in Skirts"!

We have Buckskin Stallion playing for a free concert after the comps, so come and have a few beers afterwards.

The release would also be a good chance for you Class II-III boaters to paddle Middle NSV and Apple Valley Bridge section. Just swing on by afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2004   #4
S&M

Any word of that release?

Thinking about coming to the event but haven't checked the park out yet? What is the main rodeo feature like?
S&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #5

lyons flows?

can anyone tell me if and when the NSV will pick up?
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #6
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Flows for NSV

I will find out about the release on friday morning. The release would essentially pass the river to us, which right now would be about 225 cfs coming from NSV vs the 115 cfs we have now.. This would put the BlackBear hole which after the confluence of the NSV and SSV around 300-400 cfs depending on flows for that day. Over 300 is where the Black bear becomes rententive and you can go vertical on river left side. It is a pretty sweet hole, but I am biased.
Old 06-11-2004   #7
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
WE GOT WATER FOR SUNDAY!

Just spoke with the fellows at ButtonRock and they plan on free flowing the river to us on Sunday! That should put the BlackBear Hole for the Rodeo around 400cfs which is a great level and the Lyons Whitewater Park 23O cfs. You can definitly go vertical at this level. Even my sorry butt could get 6 points in there! Also, Come on up and join us for ther BoaterCross Team Relay race, DownRiver Race and the Hare Brain Running Race! We are pretty stoked for the BoaterCross Race. We got a pretty cool set-up for it.
Old 06-11-2004   #8
S&M

I was thinking about coming up on Saturday to kayak and just check it out. Is the hole in at this level?
Old 06-11-2004   #9
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
The hole is there, but not as retentive as it will be at the higher level. You can certainly throw some ends (usually 2) and spin etc. They may start the release earlier than Sunday just keep your eye on the flow page.
Arn
Old 06-11-2004   #10
S&M

Which flow level do I look at for this spot?