Lower West Fork - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-06-2005  

oh yeah
Lower West Fork

just a note that this section is clean. maybe two miles of continous class III with a IV, aptly named fur ball. overall a class IV section due to gradient. this is a great start to a Lawson run. put in is in empire at the park.

-dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005  

Upper Section

Where is the put in for the upper section of the West Fork.

From looking at AW's site it's at the avalanche signs....and the take out sounds hard to find.

Are you talking about the run from this take out down?

Where does this put you on the Lawson run. Do you miss anything?

What would you call the upper section? Solid V....IV+....V+

I'll be coming out that way next week with some friends and this sounds like it might be fun!

Thanks
Pruitt
Old 06-06-2005  

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
just a note that this section is clean.
Thanks for posting that, I've peered down there while driving past many times and wondered, it obviously has some gradient.

Quote:
Where does this put you on the Lawson run. Do you miss anything?
I think it puts you above the lawson run, there is a class IV rapid called Extra Pussy that is above the Lawson hole I think...

Quote:
What would you call the upper section? Solid V....IV+....V+
I dunno, depends on the paddler, there is a lot of wood in there and not much in the way of eddy's. I would say solid V with a guide, V+ without.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005  

Quote:
I think it puts you above the lawson run, there is a class IV rapid called Extra Pussy that is above the Lawson hole I think
Every rapid name has a story and I don't think you want to know about that one. But yes, it is class IVish and above lawson.
Old 06-06-2005  

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Dan do want to run this tonight???
Old 06-06-2005  

oh yeah
for the upper west fork:

it's class V. i don't have enough time on class five to say if it's V- or V. not V+ though. there are two portages due to wood. neither are obvious. i wouldn't go in without a guide.

the takeout: turn left just past Mariettas (sp?) Restraunt on hwy 40. drive a 1/4 mile to a vacant lot on the right below the beaver dam. (please be discreit as this may be private property)

put-in: drive up hwy 40 and park at coors falls, aka triple drop, a 12'ish drop. not too hard to find if you stop at every pull-out and look in.

for the lower west fork:

first, "clean" is relative. you don't need to portage. however there is wood. and second, once you join the clear creek there are two distinct raids before the lawson hole. one is under the I-70 east on ramp from hwy 40 and the second, i belive, is the afore mentioned "extra pussy".
-dan
Old 06-07-2005  

might be doing it tomarrow,

Me and my roomate might do it tomarrow. We have both run it with-in the last couple weeks. Fun run needs to be cleaned out in some areas.
Old 06-07-2005  

There is a group of us going to run the upper and lower section of the west fork Today June 7th, We are meeting at 1 pm at the take out of the upper section. We all know it well and plan on pretty much bombing it. Its running 160 c.f.s.