Lower Taos Box trip beta 4/3/04 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-05-2004  

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Lower Taos Box trip beta 4/3/04

cold, rainy, windy,...... but pretty awesome down there this past weekend. For all those of you deterred by distance and weather, you should get down there and run it. The level was probably at about 900 to 1,000 cfs and very runnable. Dead Car was ok, Powerline was really fun (pronounced tongue on the bottom right will tag you if lay you right edge down) No real bad consequences at the bottom. Pinball has a few surprises if you run the centerline. Last Rapid is worse in look than in reality, run it left to center and skirt the sharp big black rock thing.

No swims by all who went, a banged knee or two, all in all, cold wet fun..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004  

Are all the major rapids scoutable?
Old 04-05-2004  

yup.....

everything is scoutable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004  

Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
About 8 of us are going down a week from Thursday. So the LTB is sitll good to go at about 800 cfs? Did you hit Pilar? Good play? With the length of LTB, playboat or river/creek boat? Thanks, Jamie
Old 04-05-2004  

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
screw the playboat, paddle the biggest most comfortable cadillac sized creek boat you can manage. I thought that it would have been a lot of fun drinking beer on a raft, but smooshed into a little playboat I was in such intense pain by the time we got to the continuous rapids at the end that I was sprinting for the takeout as fast as I could. Ol' Chunder was on that trip and he loudly proclaimed it to be the worst river he has ever been down. It wasn't that bad, but you are definately there much more for the scenery than the whitewater.
Old 04-05-2004  

SOLD, the Y it is! Thanks Brian. Everyone is heming and hawing over what boat to take down. More room for beer, lunch and water. Was the Craw with you on LTB?
Old 04-05-2004  

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
kinda sorta yes, Marty was technically in a different group but we were crossing paths all day long.
Old 04-05-2004  

Durango, Colorado
I squeezed into my sub 7 for the trip. I do agree that a larger boat would have been more comfortable for most of the trip. There are a few scattered play spots, but the length of the trip does make it difficult to find the energy for the last 3 miles where there is some play.

I disagree about the quality of the whitewater. The scenery is spectacular, but I thought it is worth paddling the long, flat pools for the good drops that are in there. The last three miles are sort of a reward at the end of the day.

Many of the drops look more difficult than they are from kayak level. We scouted many of the Class III's due to poor vision only to find a straight forward lines from the bank. I still recommend scouting until you know the lines because there are some spots you might not want to be at lower water (going around the wrong side of a boulder and into a semi-sieve, low water pin kind of situation).

We ran Pilar on Sunday. Kind of Low and technically easy, but there were a couple great play waves in there.
Old 04-05-2004  

Thanks! If any one is going down March 15, 16, 17 we will be down there. Look for a couple of Ford Rangers with racks. Thanks again for the beta. Maybe we can share a shuttle.
Old 04-05-2004  

the whitewater was great

Scenery was spectacular....I could have done without the wind, but after powerline, it was rockin'.....pinball is appropriately named, by the time you get there, you're so tired you are just like one of those little pinballs, bouncing from hole to hole and rock to rock.

As a footnote warning: This still isn't a place for a beginner. Though a newbie/intermediate could run it with a guide, once you're in the canyon, you're committed, going for help and getting out of there would be a dubious affair at best, there are few places along the way that might afford a way up.