Lower San Juan Photos - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2012   #1
H2 Hoes

Kayak, Colorado
Lower San Juan Photos

Hi,
I am currently working on a Lower San Juan Sediment accumulation study for my senior thesis at Fort Lewis. I am using a series of repeat photography to get an idea of how much sediment has accumulated upstream since the drop of Lake Powell. I am in search for pre dam to late 1990's photographs of the river from Government rapid to Clay Hills. If you have and photographs or have ideas to access some it would be greatly appreciated.
Logan 970-361-50469

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The photos is in the back of the RiverMaps San Juan guide, with a yellow dot showing the same location, illustrate the accumulation dramatically.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #3
H2 Hoes

Kayak, Colorado
ya I have those photos ad have added a recent repeat. Does anybody else have any good ideas for locating historic photos?
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012   #4
A Political Theorist

Gonzorango, Colorado
Prepare thyself.

Drag yourself to the haunts of long-time river rats, get and follow leads, buy some drinks, be conversant on how WreckedtheNation killed the San Juan, and you'll get photos.

Hint: if you are one of those that never leave the safety of Berndt Hall or your desk calculator to conduct research, you'll find initial leads in the hallowed halls of Harvard on the Hill that will take you down the back hill and into the history of local rivers.

Maybe even down the river, if you're worthy.
Droboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #5

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droboat View Post
Drag yourself to the haunts of long-time river rats, get and follow leads, buy some drinks, be conversant on how WreckedtheNation killed the San Juan, and you'll get photos.

Hint: if you are one of those that never leave the safety of Berndt Hall or your desk calculator to conduct research, you'll find initial leads in the hallowed halls of Harvard on the Hill that will take you down the back hill and into the history of local rivers.

Maybe even down the river, if you're worthy.
deep
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #6

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Call Valle's in Mexican Hat and ask for Richard. He ran in the predambrian era for Kenny Ross, and with many historic boatmen. He has an incredible amount of knowledge and may have photos that would help you out. You may also call Kristen at Wild Rivers in Bluff. Good luck, I'm interested to read your thesis.
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #7

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
could also make some connections in Moab at Plateau Restorations' River Rendezvous in November. check out their website for details -- *Moab River Rendezvous - Home. USGS may also have sources. best of luck and have fun with it
edd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Is Don Baars still around Dgo? I bet he has them if he is still alive.
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #9
H2 Hoes

Kayak, Colorado
Thanks for some info I have already made a trip to Bluff and collected photos from WRX on my first research trip. I already have a good collection, just thought I would check here for more ideas.
Old 09-05-2012   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I bet the sedimentation group for Reclamation at the TSC (Lakewood, CO) may have some leads for you. Sedimentation Home:: Bureau of Reclamation : U.S. Department of the Interior

I wouldn't mind poking around our office here in Durango, but I am not sure we would have much stuff related to Lake Powell, although we involved with many San Juan River issues.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote