Lower NSV - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2008   #1

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Lower NSV

It is at 206 right now. I thought you need 275 or so to run from Shelly's cotteges down? Is that correct? Anyone in the know if it is going up for this weekend?

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008   #2

Need is relative term. I ran it at 80cfs once (read the wrong gage). It sucked but you could make it down. I'm sure that 206 would be worlds better . Recommended flows is another story, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
It is at 206 right now. I thought you need 275 or so to run from Shelly's cotteges down? Is that correct? Anyone in the know if it is going up for this weekend?
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #3

Lyons, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
206 is G to G
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008   #4

Lower NSV Update

I just spoke to Ken at the Longmont water board. He said under the current snowpack levels, melting (hot and now this cool down), down stream water calls, and water in res that he predicts NSV will come up next week 200cfs+ (late in the week was his prediction/weather dependent) for probably a very short season as he said there is not much water left up there?

We got to hit it last weekend during LOG at 240cfs and had a great time. It is a fun, creeky run for class III boaters.
Old 06-16-2008   #5

NSV Longmont Water Update for Below Button Rock Flows

I spoke to Ken today and he does not sound optimistic. He went up and looked at the snow pack this past weekend. He told me not much snow left and that the snowpack for that drainage was actually much lower then others on the Front Range for the year.

He told me that if there is any shot at boatable levels, it will be soon and short from his data and opinion. He said keep an eye on it this week and hope for hot weather and warm nights.
Old 06-16-2008   #6
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Chief,
That is not good. Did he say how close ButtonRock is to being filled? When?
Arn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
I spoke to Ken today and he does not sound optimistic. He went up and looked at the snow pack this past weekend. He told me not much snow left and that the snowpack for that drainage was actually much lower then others on the Front Range for the year.

He told me that if there is any shot at boatable levels, it will be soon and short from his data and opinion. He said keep an eye on it this week and hope for hot weather and warm nights.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #7

As you know, the plumbing is complicated. I got the impression that it would not spill, but I did not ask that outright. He has to release a % of what water is coming in for water rights holders and is only allowed to store a certain % based on some formula.
Old 06-18-2008   #8

I spoke with Longmont water today and they said it will spill and he thought by the weekend (2.5' to go). The Upper guage is saying 241 right now and looks to still be rising, which is good.
Old 06-18-2008   #9

does the gauge you're referring to apply to the Proving Grounds section as well? If so, what's your guess as to whether it will run this weekend? Will be on the FR for a few days, and that run sounds like fun.

thanks,
dj
kyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #10

YEP! No guesses from me, but this is what the water guys said. Lets hope he is right, it stays hot and or rains in that drainage.

He thought the snow pack was low up there, so it might be quick?