lower mesa falls - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2013   #1

x, x
Paddling Since: x
lower mesa falls

I am looking to run lower mesa falls in the next few weeks.

My wife and i are planning the trip and we are thinking last week in july.

I have read tons on the area, and am stoked to go. Does anyone live nearby that would want to come out for a day or two to run the falls?

I'd also like to run middle mesa down to the falls, and any other recomendations in the area.

does anyone know if riley creek gets run anymore?

or star falls? there is also another falls that is spring feed but i forget the name.

any info would be great, and any locals that might want to hang out or paddle would be great!

We are also looking for some class 2 for the wife.

I heard about the run below the falls, but that means she'd need to hike down to river level for it or is there another way?

thanks in advance.

and PS:

I am leaving from colorado, so if anyone wants to carpool and save gas that would be cool. I have room for two.

CASPER MIKE: if you see this please send me a pm or clear up your recived box, i tryed to pm you and your all fulled up, you and Glenn are my first choice and I would be stoked to set something up with you guys!!

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013   #2

It will be running. So will Quake Lake 20 mins away. For Class 2 the Madison from below Quake for 50 miles is scenic class 2. Then one of the best class 4 rapids in the world is in Beartrap canyon right below that.

You could also go do the Snake in Alpine Canyon, a great class 2-3 with epic camping up the greys.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #3

Blarney, Iowa
Mac Cooper on this forum can help you out.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Sent like a half dozen messages because apparently I'm a beta crackhead, and I think CL II float sections are super secret and don't belong on the public space.
Old 07-17-2013   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Glenn give me what ever you are smoking!

Bobby boy not sure how available ill be that weeken unfortunately. The inlaws are coming into town and that Friday we get to find out if we are having a boy or girl. Super stoked but might beable to meet for a quake lap or something text me or call or something fuck pm on the buzz 307 797 1665 if you are looking for falls there is one on the falls river not far and runs year round but also kind of in the you know what. Park
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #6
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Glenn give me what ever you are smoking

MIKE, I'M VERY HIGH ON LIFE RIGHT NOW?!?!? HOW LONG DOES THIS SHIT LAST,,, I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG I CAN KEEP MY KEWL;
Old 07-17-2013   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
You got what I get when im not paddling glendo! Tomarrow we should boat it up!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #8

The Bitterroot, Montana
The sheep falls run above Mesa is well worth the extra effort. It has one of the sweetest pore overs ever!! Make sure to scout your portage around upper Mesa because that would be real ugly. I will see how my schedule lines up as it gets closer, I try to get on it once a season.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #9

The Bitterroot, Montana
Oh, Bitch Creek is also right there, but may be dry by then.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #10

alta, Utah
Star falls is dry right now as it is the peak of irrigation season on middle Snake basin. The past several years in August I have seen them spill up to 1500 cfs through Milner/Murtaugh section for fish spawning. This release lasts 2-3 weeks at most including stepping the river up and down about 100 cfs per day. I have not checked to see if this will occur this year. 1-800-422-3143 is the number to check the flow. I have seen Star falls run from about 1,000 cfs on up and it may have been dropped at lower flows I just haven't seen it. The Malad gorge w/ it's 60 footer is only 45 minutes drive from Star falls. Auger falls on the Snake is even closer. If it is running and you are anywhere close I recommend a Murtaugh trip. I have good weekday and weekend availability PM me if it works out for you to do a Murtaugh run....my usual paddling partners have had sand in their vag this year.
barry is offline   Reply With Quote