Lower Fryingpan scoop - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2005   #1

Lower Fryingpan scoop

Ruedi Resevoir is full fpr the first time in years and the dam is releasing enough water to float the elusive Lower Pan. The Lower Pan is a beautiful run. The water level is currently 418 cfs. I paddled it two days ago and was pleasently suprised. The top half of the run is mostly class III with one fun slide-type drop. The second half (below mile marker 2 on the highway) is a little stiffer and should be considered Class IV-ish due to some tight drops and some tricky logs. As of two days ago the section could be run without portage.

Colorado Canoe and Kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2005   #2

Thanks for the Update! I have wanted to run/fish this for quite some time. What flows are required to get a 15' cat/raft down it for some fishing and river running?
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #3

Cataraft on Lower Pan

This creek is tight for a kayak @ 418 cfs. I cant imagine being able to get a raft or cataraft down it unless it came up a lot. There are LOTS of fisherman access points all along the whole river and the fishing is incredible! Roaring Fork Anglers in Glenwood Springs can tell you which flies are hot to use if your interested.
Colorado Canoe and Kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005   #4

Loveland, Colorado
If y'all would like to see Lower Fryingpan flows posted on this website, I'm happy to provide them like I do for the Lower Blue. We rarely go above 300 cfs, though. It is a tightly controlled stream.

Let me know!
--Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
lower fryingpan flows

The flows are already available in the Roaring Drainage section of the Phateye flows also available via Mt Buzz.
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #6

Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Anyone run this lately? Planning on hitting it next week maybe. Would you say this level is pushy or low and technical (second half). Thanks for any input. It's been on the bible list for a while.
Old 06-30-2005   #7

Ran it at about 150 my first year boating, seemed pretty easy then and I think it would only be more fun at this level. From what I remember there was really only one drop of any significance. that was 4 years ago but I think my memory serves me well. Let me know when you are heading out, I'd be in to running it this or next week if it works out.
Jaxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #8
VI-

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I ran it last night @ approx. 400 cfs. It's a scenic float and that's about it.
It's not a play run. Read: don't try to squirt, wavewheel or get vertical in any way. I received multiple blows to the head and shoulder when I flipped. When it was over, my boat was about a pound lighter (the run is a frickin' cheesegrater). What it needs is another 400 cfs. Then it might look like the picture in the guide-book (damn guide-books).
VI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #9
VI-

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the innumerable logs!
VI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #10

Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
So what ya saying...keep driving to Slaughterhouse...? is it worth it to tick off, since I probably will never get on it again?