Lower Clear Creek - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2008   #1

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Lower Clear Creek

Anyone run lower Clear Creek? Is it good to go or need more water?

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #2

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I think it is good to go, but I have low standards...
Old 05-19-2008   #3

Golden, Colorado
It is too low for most people's taste. I've run it a few times this year and I liked it but I will run anything low. My guess is that the flow is going to step up every day from here to peak flow so if you have never run it before and class IV makes you nervous then now is a good time to get on it to get a feel for it before it starts flowing.

I pulled a large strainer out of the screaming quarter mile and there was another dangerous one downstream of it that someone else must have pulled out because it is gone now.

I ran Black Rock this weekend and we pulled 3 pieces of wood out of Black Rock proper and saw what I would say is an above normal number of logs in the river over all. They are mostly old logs so I don't know how to explain why there are so many this year. Be heads up this year because it looks like a lot of them will start moving with more water.

The undercut at Black Rock contains a giant log that isn't going anywhere. I don't know if it is worth pulling out, but if someone needs some exercise then go for it. It might be a good idea to saw it up so a tourist doesn't throw it back in.

I cleaned out the strainer below Rigor Mortis.... It had a piece of lumber spanning the width that I noticed at the end of last season. So, feel free to swim the left side below Rigo
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #4

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
It is too low for most people's taste. I've run it a few times this year and I liked it but I will run anything low. My guess is that the flow is going to step up every day from here to peak flow so if you have never run it before and class IV makes you nervous then now is a good time to get on it to get a feel for it before it starts flowing.

I pulled a large strainer out of the screaming quarter mile and there was another dangerous one downstream of it that someone else must have pulled out because it is gone now.

I ran Black Rock this weekend and we pulled 3 pieces of wood out of Black Rock proper and saw what I would say is an above normal number of logs in the river over all. They are mostly old logs so I don't know how to explain why there are so many this year. Be heads up this year because it looks like a lot of them will start moving with more water.

The undercut at Black Rock contains a giant log that isn't going anywhere. I don't know if it is worth pulling out, but if someone needs some exercise then go for it. It might be a good idea to saw it up so a tourist doesn't throw it back in.

I cleaned out the strainer below Rigor Mortis.... It had a piece of lumber spanning the width that I noticed at the end of last season. So, feel free to swim the left side below Rigo
Nice work, if you would like help in the future cleaning things up let me know.

MR
Old 05-19-2008   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
200 and up is still fun on CC is a good level to shake the cobwebs off the boat.

Thanks for the heads-up and the clean up, Ture.