Lower Blue- when do they close the gate on week days? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-30-2005   #1

Denver, Colorado
Lower Blue- when do they close the gate on week days?

Anyone know when they close the gate at the put-in on week days on the Lower Blue? Can you park on the other side of the dam and hike down if you think you're going to be late?

Thanks,
-d

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2005   #2

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Weekdays- 4:00

As far as I know, you can park outside the gate and hike in. But I would verify that with somebody official.
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #3

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
M-Th 6:30 am- 4pm
F-Su 8 am-7 pm
If a holiday falls on a Monday, then the hours are 8am - 7 pm

Sheriff's Deputies are usually around, because of 9/11, from 2-9pm, I believe, and are usually parked just above the dam on the road to Heeney.

I believe the Security Patrol, a private company, has left for the year after 8/15. They were usually above the dam in the morning til maybe 2 pm.

Gates close at the hours mentioned above. However, anyone can park above the gates and therefore, aren't governed by the hours.

Probably, there's a grace period before they'll tow, but I haven't chanced it to find out. I've seen and talked to Sheriff Deputies and Security Patrol a couple times down in the parking lot as they come down there to check on who's around.
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2005   #4

Denver, Colorado
So, does this mean that you can park above and hike down after 4 on weekdays? And is this only if there isn't a patrol of some sort?
-d
Old 08-30-2005   #5

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Yes. They just don't want anyone parking below the gate before or after hours. You can park above the gate and then walk down / up w/ or w/o a boat or whatever anytime, day or night, as long as you aren't parked below the gate during the off hours.

I'd suggest chatting with the Sheriff deps if/when you see them to confirm.

Park away from the dam. There are signs designating how far away from the dam you can park.

And/or contact Kara Lamb on this forum. She's the info director for Bur of Rec (the dam). She posts a lot on this forum about all things Green Mtn Canyon.

Tell her Richard referred you and she'll give you a 50% discount!
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #6

Denver, Colorado
Well, my brother and friends showed up at the put-in well after 4pm and The Man told them they could not cross the gate after 4, period. Thanks to some quick thinking of one of the crew, they con'ed their way in. Don't expect to show up after hours and do this run.
Old 09-01-2005   #7

Loveland, Colorado
Getting Below Green Mountain Dam after hours

Hey all,
Glad this post is up. Believe it or not, I've already heard about Livingston's brother and party.

Actually, I don't know if it was Livingston's brother, but someone did tell the security chief that I said something I actually haven't said. But, I understand how easy it is to confuse these sorts of things; so, let me clear it up once and for all:

If the gate is down, the area below Green Mountain Dam is closed, period.

That is to say: parking away from the site and hiking down to it once the gate and area is closed is NOT OKAY. It's trespassing on federal property. Please don't do that. They can confiscate your stuff, fine you, or (if you're belligerent) give ya a ride somewhere else.

The whole area is closed to all public access by 4 p.m. Monday-Thursday and by 7 p.m. Friday-Sunday.

And, to clear up another point: Holiday Mondays (like Labor Day, Memorial Day and I believe Columbus Day--but I have to check on that one) follow weekend hours: 8 a.m-7 p.m. So, this coming Monday, you can be out there until 7 p.m.

And, that might be nice. Flows went up another 50 cfs yesterday and should be around the 700 cfs level through the weekend--unless the weather does something crazy (always a possibility 'round these parts).

I hope that helps. If any of this is not clear, or if you see grey areas that seem "open to interpretation", please give me a holler. If you can't get me at the office, feel free to call my cell phone. I usually have it with me: (970) 215-9545.

And one more note: I want to thank everyone for their patience with this security program. I make jokes about being belligerent, but the fisherman, rafters, and kayakers who our folks have encountered have almost all been professional and rather nice to our employees and security folks. That is much appreciated and goes further than you know.

So, thanks for that and I'll be sure to post here if there are flow changes before the Holiday weekend.

--Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #8

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've gone there before where we run shuttle, park outside the gate and walk down BEFORE closing time. We've always been on the river before the gate is closed. By the time we get back, the gate is closed, but everyone / everything is outside the restricted area.
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #9

I still don't get why the sensitivty with this dam. You need 10 truck bombs to blow it up and all you kill is max 100 people down river. Did the sheriff's office get some federal homeland security money to protect dams?
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #10

I'm not sure, but I think the issue is concerning a chain reaction. Okay, so someone takes out, say, the Dam in Dillon or Green Mountain, the sudden influx of water is too much for the next one, so that one breaks too. The snowball effect just becomes worse and worse until there's no Glen Canyon Dam, no power or water for California, etc., etc. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this would be a bad thing, but I think some people (law enforcement, etc.) do not think this would be good.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote