Lower Blue to Gore Canyon put in? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2007   #1

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Lower Blue to Gore Canyon put in?

Has anyone done the lower blue from Green Mountain Canyon all the way down to the put in for Gore Canyon? I saw a boat float under the bridge at Trought Road to the North so I know there has to be more sections raftable. I have heard that there are diversions or dams that make it a no go. I really want to get on the blue since its one of few still going but it sounds short.

WillYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I often see a bunch of vehicles with trailers right after the bridge on the way to the Gore Put-in. (after turning off the trough road heading to the actual Gore Put-in, about 100 ft from the trough road, west side). I assume that these are fishermen with oar rigs and dories running the stretch you are talking about.

You might call some fishing guides in Summit and get advice from them. A quick satellite scout shows a few diversions but from 23,000 miles up it looks totally runnable. South West Paddler says it good to go class II and III:

Lower Blue River, Colorado

Have fun and let us know what you think of it

also check out:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...7-a-15774.html

Looks like people are heading up there this weekend, you should get advice from and maybe boat with them.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #3

Whitefish, Montana
I would agree with the fishing...my buddies and I fish that stretch around Kremmling sometimes and proves to be good fishing...I'm going up there to boat the lower Blue section with a couple of others it seems, you are welcome to join. I'm planning on trying to ride with someone or meet there at 930am at the put in.
purpleyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007   #4

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Mostly fishing water

The section from Spring Creek Road down to the Gore put-in is mostly fishing water (flat) with the exception of the man-made fishing structure and diversion structures. They are all passable in a raft assuming the flow is above 650 cfs or so. The real problem is that all of the land through that section is privately owned and under close watch. If you choose to float there DO NOT get out on shore. You will be arrested. DO NOT stop on any midstream rocks. You will be arrested. The property is part of a large private hunting and fishing lodge that spent a lot of money putting in river structure and very big fish. They do not like people passing through there property. They have had people arrested for touching bottom as they float through the property at lower water. Have fun if you go but be very careful.

Dan
boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #5

Arrested for sitting in an eddy...
Not worth the drive back up to fight it with a 100 year old judge and DA who did not understand or listen AT ALL...
puma2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma2fish View Post
Arrested for sitting in an eddy...
Not worth the drive back up to fight it with a 100 year old judge and DA who did not understand or listen AT ALL...
You should contact American Whitewater about this - that is a serious river access issue and directly in opposition to the Navigable Waterways doctrine. An eddy is clearly part of the river, and as long as you are touching rocks that are below the high water line you should be fine. At least that is my understanding. I think AW will represent you in court on tickets like this.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #7

It was actually about 5 years ago...

At our 'hearing" we had diagrams of howe eddy's work and how we were not touching the shore. The landowners argument was that we were in the riuver and not moving so we must of been on shore... The judge had noidea what was going on and thought we had entered someone's property to hunt. The DA's were no help. Court for that area is in Hot Sulfer Springs. It was easier to bite our tongues and give up our pride and pay$150 than set a court date, go back up there, etc...

Needless to say thatI always have a gesture for the Blue Valley Ranch as I drive by...
puma2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #8

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for all the replies. I hope they do make it a Wild and Scenic River just so the f'in ranchers will leave the rafters alone. I still might try it this comming up Monday. I really want to get a full day out. "Nobody owns the water...Its gods water"
WillYates is offline   Reply With Quote