Lower Blue Plan Comments/Meeting - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-12-2008   #1

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Lower Blue Plan Comments/Meeting

Summit County Government - Colorado

Two meetings have been scheduled in April. The first is a meeting of the “Working Group” scheduled for April 11th from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the BLM Kremmling Field Office. The purpose of this April 11th meeting is to discuss and refine recommendations that will be presented to the larger meeting of “Stakeholders” on Thursday, April 17th.

The second meeting, is a PUBLIC meeting hosted by what has been known as the “Stakeholders”. This second PUBLIC meeting will be held on Thursday, April 17th, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the Board of Education Room in the Kremmling Elementary/Middle School. The purpose of this PUBLIC meeting on the 17th is for the PUBLIC and the “Stakeholders Group” to review PUBLIC comments received regarding the draft plan and to consider recommendations from the “Working Group” regarding the future management and direction for this plan. Those who have participated in the “Stakeholders Group” will be asked to establish next steps for the formulation of a Lower Blue River Cooperative Management Plan.

Because some of the Comments, found on the website, shown above, in "Compilation of Public Comments Received as of March 13, 2008 [PDF]", are "Class IV-V" Opinion Level, the April 17 PUBLIC meeting should be an adventure, to say the least. There are some pretty strong opinions made in those Comments...

Colorado Whitewater made Comment 14, Patrick Tooley (CW) made Comment 15 and American Whitewater made Comment 38. Mine are Comments 13 and 16, "the Comments with the photographs".

Take a look, in particular, at "Lower Blue River Working Group Meeting notes – March 26, 2008 [PDF]", at the above website, to see who, on the Working Group, is in charge (read: in control) of actually writing up the Management Plan... then ask yourself.... "Who's the 'legal expert'?" "Who's paying for the 'legal expert'?", "Who does John Kossler represent?" and "Who represents Recreational Users on either the (especially) Working Group or the Stakeholders Group?"

My bet is that you'll have a "Class 0-I" response.

I have a whole raft, no pun intended , of questions I'll be asking, raised by the Comments.

How about you?

Hope to see you at the meeting. If you come, wear your helmets!

Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2008   #2

I went to the Kremmling meeting last Thursday and, yes, there were some "animated" opinions. A 501c3 IRS non profit organization is going to be set up to form an entity to make the Plan. Tentatively, there will be 13 members of the organization.
1 Grand County Commissioner
1 Summit County Commissioner
1 At Large/Summit County
1 At Large/Grand County
1 CDOW
3 Recreational User Reps
5 Landowner Reps
---
13 members

The meeting was led by Tom Long, Summit County Commissioner and the presentation for forming the non profit was made by Blue Valley Ranch environmental lawyer Jim Sanderson.

It was mentioned that the "Do Nothing" alternative is off the table because of Federal regs require management plans to be made these days. That leaves 2 alternatives:

1 Manage by Control of Use through Restrictions, Regulations and Permits
2 Manage by Distribution (of boats and people) and Freedom of Use by Improvements such as Boat Slides, Easements and Footbridges.

Notes from the meeting will probably be placed on the Summit County website, shown at the top of the original post, shortly.

You can contact the Colorado Whitewater Access guy at coloradowhitewater.org, see the Comments made by Colorado Whitewater (14 and 15), American Whitewater, 38, and mine, 16, the comments with all the pictures, at the Summit County site and/or post questions/comments here.
Old 04-20-2008   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for posting on this issue and even moreso for going to the meeting. Please keep us informed of developments.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008   #4

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I was wondering who read the comments that were supposed to be in by March 14th or whenever concerning the Lower Blue ? Who checks that they were all read?

I have heard that they weren't all read because of some computer issues!? I think someone needs to further investigate this? We never heard about this in the papers but someone is going to be making decisions based on input from the public.

What exactly was the input? Will we ever know or just go by what the rich and bureaucratic tell us! The two have been in bed together for centuries, how will this be any different?
Things that make you go, hum...?

We must ask questions and keep the PUBLICLY ELECTED officials honest!!!
replenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #5

If you'd like to get on the email listserv to be notified of upcoming meetings , info, etc., contact Bunny Sterin, BLM Kremmling, at [email protected]

note: there's an "underscore" between bernice and sterin.
Old 04-28-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by replenish View Post
I was wondering who read the comments that were supposed to be in by March 14th or whenever concerning the Lower Blue ? Who checks that they were all read?

I have heard that they weren't all read because of some computer issues!? I think someone needs to further investigate this? We never heard about this in the papers but someone is going to be making decisions based on input from the public.

What exactly was the input? Will we ever know or just go by what the rich and bureaucratic tell us! The two have been in bed together for centuries, how will this be any different?
Things that make you go, hum...?

We must ask questions and keep the PUBLICLY ELECTED officials honest!!!
A couple of people I talked to who are on the Working Group mentioned they looked over the Comments, a couple of others said they read them with interest. I read all the Comments thoroughly, took me several hours to get through them! A summary of the types of comments was given at the meeting but the purpose of the meeting was not to go over possible
Actions, rather it was to get agreement and then form an entity to move the plan forward in an orderly way. Bob Berwyn, Summit Daily News, was not at the meeting. He covered the previous meetings in Silverthorne and Kremmling back in February. If you'd like, you can contact Bob to see what he plans to cover in the future.

Remember, the decision makers are the 13 members of the to be formed 501c3 group. That's who you should make your beliefs known to, once the group is formed. A couple of those members are likely to be from Colorado Whitewater, so get in touch with them, also.

Again, the input, or Comments, can be found at the Summit County website, shown in the original post. Meeting notes, the 501c3 entity presentation and updated Comments should be timely placed on the Summit County web site. Check with Bunny Sterin at the email address in the previous post to find out when that will be posted on the site. If she doesn't know, have her tell you who does know and how to contact them.

Ask and ye shall receive!
Old 05-05-2008   #7

Message from BLM

There are multiple issues and plans being discussed here. Here’s some explanation:

BLM is one of a number of public and private stakeholders working together to develop a framework for the future coordinated management of the Lower Blue River. This effort is called the Lower Blue River Cooperative Management Plan. BLM only manages 2 miles of the 15-mile Lower Blue River, so it is just one of many partners on this effort. BLM is a committed partner, but this is not a BLM plan or a “BLM-driven” effort. You can find additional information about this plan on the Summit County website http://www.co.summit.co.us/Documents4Review/lower_blue.html.

BLM in Kremmling is in the middle of revising its Resource Management Plan, which is a BLM land-use plan that provides overall management direction for the next 20 years or so. BLM may use what is developed in the Lower Blue River Cooperative Management Plan to help it develop alternatives for this RMP Revision. The revision is due out for public review and 90-day comment period this fall. This is a joint revision with the Glenwood BLM office, so you should definitely check this out when it is released for comment this fall. Between the two offices a lot of public access and issues related to the Colorado River are addressed in addition to the Blue River. You can find more information at Kremmling/Glenwood Springs RMP -

A separate issue is the proposed Blue Valley Land Exchange. The decision on this exchange proposal will be made after the completion of the Resource Management Plan revision described above. An environmental assessment and public comment period are important steps in the exchange process.
BlueRiverBoater is offline   Reply With Quote