Lower Blue Management Plan - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-08-2008   #1

Lower Blue Management Plan

Comments needed on Lower Blue River Management Plan
In the past decade recreational pressure on the Lower Blue River has increased, resulting in detrimental impacts to natural resources, conflicts with private landowners, and dimishing quality or recreational values and experiences.
The Lower Blue River Management Plan is a cooperative effort to develop a strategic framework for protecting natural resources, managing public recreational activities, minimizing conflicts between river users, and protecting private property rights along the Lower Blue River, from Green Mountain Reservoir to the confluence with the Colorado River.
The US Bureau of Land Management, the largest single land manager along the river corridor, is currently revising it's Resource Management Plan, which guides BLM management decisions for the next 20 years. Through the RMP process, BLM is deciding how all public lands will be managed, and whether recreation is a primary management goal. The draft Lower Blue River Management Plan does not focus on recreation demand, but looks to protect public health and safety, reduce user conflics, and protect natural resources.
The draft plan, which is supported by BLM, reflects the cooperative mission and vision of stakeholders involved, and outlines eight management sections, each with a guiding principle. Each guiding principle has a set of goals, and each goal will include a list of individual management actions.
Currently, the plan is lacking management actions for each goal within the eight sections. These management actions will be subsequently developed with consideration of public comments received before March 13th.
Paddlers are encouraged to comment on the cooperative management goals!
To submit comments, contributors are asked to please use the comment sheet . Including a section or page number and a subject with each comment will greatly facilitate compiling, sorting and accounting for all comments received. Electronic submission of comments via e-mail is preferred, by sending completed comment sheets to: [email protected]
Paddlers can attend open houses for more information:
Tuesday, February 12, 2008

7:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Silverthorne Library
Silverthorne, CO

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Kremmling Chamber of Commerce
Kremmling, CO

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008   #2

Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bump for the meetings tonight and tomorrow.

Rob
Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #3

This is a freaking witch hunt by Jones and the Blue Valley Ranch! He cooperated in the land swap that took place last year and now he's trying to squeeze the publics right to float OUR water. The article that was in the SDN yesterday was a joke! County commissioners saying that the river is an amusement park atmosphere? Has he ever been on the river? May be he's confused with Pump House? The accesses at the end of the canyon is a joke for rafters! Even if I wanted to take out there! I float the LB section at least 30 times a season and appreciate the improvements the private land owners have done but those were done by their choice! Which is why it's now all catch and release fishing. Which I practice anyway. Why should the public be penalized for their choices? I'll be at the meeting in Silverthorne and encourage anyone who floats to attend.
D-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008   #4

I can't make it but would some who goes please post a summary of the meetings? Thanks.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Also, what's the status of the land swap along that reach? Did it go through?

Thanks,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #6

Sales
Land Swap/ River Use and Management two separate issues.

PLEASE SUBMIT COMMENTS ON THE summit county website. FOR THE RIVER MANAGEMENT ISSUE AT THE CURRENT TIME.

CALL DAVE AT THE BLM OFFICE IN KREMMLING- THIS IS YOUR DECISION MAKER FOR THE LAND SWAP(HIM AND JONES). I WANT HIM TO BE INUNDATED WITH PHONE CALLS ABOUT YOUR REASONS FOR OR AGAINST THE NEXT AND FINAL LAND SWAP WHICH TAKES THE REST OF PUBLIC ACCESS AWAY ON THE MIDDLE UPPER PART OF THE BLUE!

Dave Stout, Field Manager
[email protected]
| 2103 E. Park Avenue | P.O. Box 68 | Kremmling, CO 80459
(970) 724-3000 | FAX970) 724-9590

TAKE THE TIME NOW>>>BEFORE WE HAVE NO CHOICE AND THIS IS LOST FOR GOOD!

Old 02-13-2008   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Do you have a good link so I can read on the specifics of this land swap deal?

Or care to elaborate on what specifically will be lost? Is this the Spring Creek Road take out that is in peril? Any gains to boaters on LB?

Thanks for the info.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
This is an outrage and totally tipical of your rich everything is mine and only mine mentality. Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention.
jbarnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #9

Sales
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnow View Post
This is an outrage and totally tipical of your rich everything is mine and only mine mentality. Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention.
Summit Daily News for Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper and Frisco Colorado - News

CLICK THE ABOVE LINK FOR A READ~
Old 02-20-2008   #10

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
To those who boat/kayak/float fish/wade fish, etc, the Green Mountain Canyon through the Ranch and down to the confluence of the Lower Blue/Colorado:

Who has merely skimmed through the Lower Blue River Draft Plan (linked in this thread's original post)?

Who has *fully* read the Lower Blue River Draft Plan, linked in the original post of this thread?

Who has sent a Comment (DEADLINE: MARCH 13, 2008 ) to [email protected]?

Folks, the Draft Plan is basically saying that the status quo, that is, leaving it the way it is presently operated and managed... no regs, permits or restrictions(except for daily time schedules) is Alternative A: No Dice, in the LBR Corridor's future.

In other words, this Plan is going to change the way things are managed on the Lower Blue.

If you want full tilt regulations, restrictions and permits, simply keep passively reading this and other nonrelated threads until Spring finally gets here and you can then boat on the fewer and fewer accessible waters that you can still boat with a reasonable sense of freedom.

If you want total freedom or a reasonable mix of freedom and regulations/restrictions/permission to do what you do, then DOWNLOAD, READ and COMMENT ON each or some or one of the 8 Guiding Principles within the Draft Plan.

If you don't DOWNLOAD, READ and COMMENT ON the LBR Draft Plan and you like to float the Lower Blue, you are at the mercy of whatever the Summit/Grand County, Private Landowners, and BLM/USFS Federal Government interests on the Working Group TELL YOU the Regulations, Restrictions and Permits you get if you want to boat there.

Your choice.

REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE FOR YOUR COMMENTS IS MARCH 13, 2008.

Up to you, and, if you don't respond with what you'd like to see happen in the LBR Corridor by March 13, you will have no one to blame if there are a whole bunch of regulations, restrictions and permissions you encounter before you can get one drop of water on your craft.

As for what I'm doing, I have already made my presence and comments known in a very active way (See the Summit Daily article linked in a previous reply in this thread). I have downloaded, read very, very carefully the LBR Draft Plan and am right now preparing Comments on the 8 Guiding Principles located in the Plan. I am making an effort to persuade the LBRDP Working Group to proceed in a manner that I believe is in the interests of ALL types of Quiet Recreational Public AND Private Users as well as ALL Public (BLM, USFS) AND Private Landowners (Unnamed, Shadow Creek Ranch, Blue Valley Estates/Acres, Blue Valley Ranch, Yust, etc., including both FLOAT fishermen and WADE fishermen (I am a WADE fisherman only, I do not boat as I have no boat.... (***FLASH***: Anyone wishing to float me down on a fishing expedition, just let my little self know. ).

REMEMBER: THE DEADLINE FOR YOUR COMMENTS IS MARCH 13, 2008.

My comments will persuade them fully, partially or not at all. All I know is that I am using my responsibility to actively do something by commenting to benefit not only my interests as a wade fisherman but also ALL the Stakeholders, Users and Landowners, Public AND Private, of this wondrous gem of a river.

How about you?
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote