Lower Blue Goofy question - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-18-2008   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Lower Blue Goofy question

Hi everyone,
I have a couple goofy questions for those of you who float the Lower Blue regularly. You'd think I'd know these answers by now, but I don't and I'd like to. So, if you have a moment, would someone please clarify for me the following:

1. What is the name of the county road that people use to exit from the main take-out?
2. Is that county road directly connected to a parking area at the take-out?
3. Is this website the best place to refer folks for information regarding how to navigate a first-run down the Lower Blue? I've always assumed so, but thought it worth asking your opinions--you all are the experts!

Thanks!
--Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008   #2

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamb View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a couple goofy questions for those of you who float the Lower Blue regularly. You'd think I'd know these answers by now, but I don't and I'd like to. So, if you have a moment, would someone please clarify for me the following:

1. What is the name of the county road that people use to exit from the main take-out?
2. Is that county road directly connected to a parking area at the take-out?
3. Is this website the best place to refer folks for information regarding how to navigate a first-run down the Lower Blue? I've always assumed so, but thought it worth asking your opinions--you all are the experts!

Thanks!
--Kara
Lower Blue
Old 12-18-2008   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Cliff notes version.

1) Spring Creek Road

2) Yes

3) Sure, why not?
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Lower blue

Q1. I belive the main take-out is off of Trough road, 10 miles to the noth on hywy 9 then left on trough road. There is a sign for the Gore canyon Rec area on the right. I could not find a lable for the road to give a county designation.(All rafts and pontoons must take out here.)

There is also a take out 4 miles down for kayakers, duckies, and belly boats, if your dumb enough. No rafts of any kind or pontoons or dory boats... You would be suprised.(joke) The parking area here just past the bridge on spring creek road. There you will find parking for 12-15 cars max or You can chain a bike shuttle to the steel fence. It is a loading area only for small groups of private river-runners.

Q2. Both parking areas are off either, trough road for rafts, or spring creek road for kayakers,duckies,shoulderable boats.

Q3. There are lots of places to get your information. Here, eddy flower, colorado kayakers, the books(whitewater of the sothern rockys, or colorado rivers and creeks). people are your best source when atempting anything for the first time out on a river. especialy this one, swims and hikes are not welcome by the land owners. and the dams are oh so much fun.

I love this strech of river, Thank you so much for all of your information this spring and every spring, and all of your work year round.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Bob, where are people putting in who float all the way to the gore put in?

I think spring ck is the main kayak take out and the one by gore is for folks fishing the lower part. Is there any intermediate access or is it all private? My understanding is you may only take out at spring rd, but I may be thinking of another spot. Where is it realistic to launch a raft? ie not down the big hill.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
Cliff notes version.

1) Spring Creek Road

2) Yes

3) Sure, why not?
What he said. It's Spring Creek Road and the takeout is river left at the bridge.
Old 12-18-2008   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
lower blue

Dave,
Belive it or not, most people lower the rafts down the hill. I bet if there was 300cfs on the hill you would go down it in a heartbeat. How have you been, a while since the paddle fest.
Everyone puts in at the dam kayakers usually get out at spring creek rd, rafts have to go all the way to Gore. I am sure you and son would love it. minus the dams it is a blast.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #8

Loveland, Colorado
Thank you everyone for your descriptions, information links and referals, and photos! I got caught off guard on the phone yesterday and felt I was giving this guy the run-around (always a bad way to be as a government employee!).

Now, I have much improved information and can be more helpful. Thanks again!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!
--Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote