Lower Blue Camping/Fishing - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2009   #1

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Lower Blue Camping/Fishing

I've never paddled or even seen the lower Blue. Is there access to public land to fish, camp, etc. up there?

Thanks in advance!

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Next to no public access. The put-in is a pain in the ass and the last time I drove by it looked as though the high flows this year finished off the take-out. Don't know if they made a new trail yet or if they even will as I believe it actually on private property?
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #3

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by melted_ice View Post
Next to no public access. The put-in is a pain in the ass and the last time I drove by it looked as though the high flows this year finished off the take-out. Don't know if they made a new trail yet or if they even will as I believe it actually on private property?
Yes there is public land. You can camp by the put in. I think there is one or two primitive sites. The whole canyon section is public access and is excellent fishing holding nice browns and rainbows and very remote. Some good boulder gardens and one good rapid as you exit the canyon. There is also a good spot to camp at the end of the canyon before you enter the ranchland on river left. The fishing in the ranchland is good. The ranchers feed the trout and they are fucking huge. The put in is gnarly. 100 ft drop. bring rope.
tballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009   #4

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for the info! Any other ideas for camping with fishing access, (not floating this time), somewhat convienient to both Eagle and Front Range, no mosquitos, no crowds, safe for dogs and toddlers, a spring that spews Fat Tire, etc.? I know you guys aren't going to give up your spots...I just don't know the eastern slope that well...
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #5

Send a message via AIM to damax101
Quote:
Originally Posted by melted_ice View Post

Limited public access, put-in and take-out only. All the land around the take-out (spring creek rd) is private, but at the put-in you can hike down a ways to fish.

I don't think camping is allowed(?). Especially at the put-in, and im pretty sure everything below the canyon is private land, in fact the private land starts before the canyon. I'm sure you can get away with some low-key camping, but be careful.

The put-in is at the bottom of the dam and has a gate that is only open 8am-8pm. Wave to the guard! Don't leave your car down there past 8 or you'll get a hefty fine. Put-in is definitely class V like melted ice said. Bring a long rope to make things easier.

Take out is still there. Reached near record flows this summer and still going pretty good. Beautiful short stretch of easy class 3 read and run. Enjoy!
damax101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #6

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
...a spring that spews Fat Tire...
Uh, I'd like to know about that spot as well!
Old 07-16-2009   #7

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Lower Blue

I was wondering about that "below that dam" section too.

Is it feasible to float (raft) from below the dam all the way to the Gore Canyon Put-in (at lets say 1000 cfs). How long would this take and do I have to deal with low head dams, crazy ranchers or barbed wire. Thx
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #8

Send a message via AIM to damax101
Definitely can float down to the Colorado, amazing fishing. a few diversion dams, but nothing to be too worried about. All the land down there is private, so just don't get out of your boat, those crazy ranches will be watching...
damax101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
Thanks for the info! Any other ideas for camping with fishing access, (not floating this time), somewhat convienient to both Eagle and Front Range, no mosquitos, no crowds, safe for dogs and toddlers, a spring that spews Fat Tire, etc.? I know you guys aren't going to give up your spots...I just don't know the eastern slope that well...
The only way to get away from crowds is to go backpacking. The poudre canyon is nice outside of fort collins. Farther up u go the better. Nice sites right by river.
tballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #10

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Check out Williams Fork. My neighbor goes up there all the time and brings back some ridiculous trout.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote