Lower Alamosa River? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2013   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Lower Alamosa River?

Driving back from the Conejos Sunday Phil U. and I decided to go over Stunner Pass and down the Alamosa River Valley. I was impressed with what I saw.

I know Wightman Fork drains the super fund site at Summitville and contributes enough cyanide to the river that fish can't survive.... but I wonder if anyone ever boats it? Looked like many miles of beautiful II+/III- with one small gorge containing a long and fun looking class IV rapid.

Water didn't look orange or anything.... curious if anyone has any information about the safety of boating this water? Thanks.

Here are a few pics for reference. Sorry the poor lighting, it was almost dark.

lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013   #2

Do a search on Treasure Canyon to see posts talking about this stretch. I think it's been scouted many times, and rarely, if ever run. There are at least 2 $350+ paddles likely hanging out in the log jams down there. Probably more. I lay claim to the Woody paddle. The run looks quality.
Old 06-04-2013   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks Kyle. I found some information on various Treasure Canyon threads about it, but no one that I saw mentioned running it.

I did find this thread regarding the Upper Rio stretch that I was highly impressed with on a scout 2 seasons ago, and would encourage you to check out and include in the new book:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ers-20071.html
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013   #4

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Sounds like we need to get back to the Alamosa, Logan. Great find on the Upper, Upper Rio Grand thread.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #5
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Wow....looks killer. love the hopefully non life threatening creekyness.. interesting old upper upper thread too. Wish i was closer, i would happily do some exploratory runs with you guys.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote