Low Water Topic: Theory why some kayakers hate rafters/tuber - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-24-2005   #1

Denver, Colorado
Low Water Topic: Theory why some kayakers hate rafters/tuber

I’ve never been able to understand why some kayakers take every opportunity to talk trash, whine, criticize, and bitch about rafters and tubers. I’ve seen it on the river and even read slams here on the buzz. My buddies and I never bitch about rafters or how others choose to have their fun, and I’ve even been bulldozed on the Upper Gauley. So why is it so offensive to these few jackasses? Well, I have a theory.

Some might say they get all worked up because of the traffic and having to dodge rubber. I’m going to pose another theory. These kayakers who belittle rafters and tubers are really just posers who can’t seem to build up enough courage to get off of Brown’s Canyon, the Gauley, the Boulder playpark, or some other high traffic commercial thoroughfare. They think they are bad-ass because they kayak… or more likely, kayak because they want everyone to think they are bad-ass. So seeing a prepubescent girl grinning ear-to-ear on the rapid where they just shat themselves deflates their bloated, oversensitive ego. These are the same guys that have to yell at strangers, calling them “fags”, just so they feel less gay themselves. They even seek out these high traffic runs because they secretly feel safer with all the available safety, which further demoralizes them. You’ll even see this type of ego self-preservation between whitewater canoers and kayakers, sport and trad climbers, and most recently with those Tubers running the gnar (nice work at Tunnel!). For those of you kayakers who can’t seem to get over the feeling that tourists from the Midwest on your staple run makes your penis a little smaller, I’d suggest you go buy a creek boat and stay off rivers advertised at every Holiday Inn brochure counter within a hundred miles. Otherwise, try to enjoy the river in your craft of choice and shut your c-ck sucker next time you feel the urge to knock someone down a notch, it’s embarrassing.

-d

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2005   #2

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Hmmm. . .

Maybe this is a little critical. . . what brought on the rant? I think in most cases it is just a little rib-jabbing and not a complete disdain. Everyone who uses the river increases the exposure and creates an overall positive experience that makes the sport more fun and sometimes safer. This community is too small to warrant an open hatred or even to draw the generalization that rafter-haters are miscreant kayakers trying to make up for an insecurity.

Remember a few years ago when snowboarding was really starting to take off and there was a serious rivalry between single-plankers and snowboarders? Time worked out the wrinkles and now everyone is cool.

I think you're making a mountain of out a mole hill and most folks on the Buzz don't hate rafters at all. . . it's just good to poke fun and keep things interesting.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #3

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yeah, dude, 'sup? Just cuz there's no water you need to start hatin'? Roll a doob and kick back, bro, wait for the snow.
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2005   #4

Two kayakers and a rafter are sitting on an airplane, the rafter has the isle seat. The window seat kayaker says "hey man let me get out so I can go get a drink". The rafter says, "no problem man Ill get it for you since Im on the aisle seat".

While the rafter is up the window seat kayaker spits in his shoe. The rafter returns with the coke and gives it to the window seat kayaker. A few minutes later the middle kayaker says "hey I need a coke too let me out". Again the rafter says "Ill get it for you, sit tight". while he is up, the middle kayaker spits in the rafters other shoe.

Both kayakers finish their cokes and the plane lands. As they are all 3 approaching the exit door the rafter turns back and says "I dont understand where all this animosity between kayakers and rafters comes from, spitting in shoes and pissing in cokes!".

Being both a rafter and a kayaker, I can relate to both sides of the issue. And its true that if youre a kayaker on Browns Canyon theres gonna be shitloads of commercial boats. Thats just the way it is. Rivers are for everyone to enjoy, we all have to share.

Now any kayaker that has been on a multiday trip can attest to the fact that rafts are your friends. They carry your beer. Nuff said.

Philbob.
PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #5

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I am a rafter and a kayaker, so I hate everyone equally, right Bizzle?

You moved to Smogver, I mean Denver yet, or you still in the Promised Land?
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #6

Denver, Colorado
You guys all suck, can't you tell a "troll" when you see one? You jump all over some poor girl who lost her dog and I only get 4 posts in almost 24 hours? And they were all nice! Jeez. Perhaps I should have lobbed one out there instead of coming out swinging. I'll try to do better next time.

Hey, Nice one PhilBob, here's another-

How can you tell if someone is a raft guide?... they'll tell you. badumpbump

-d
Old 08-25-2005   #7

Mad Scientist/Creeker
It's not that I don like rafts, it's just that I don like rafters, unless they kayak. I don run Brown Canyon unless I'm fishing from a raft, but most fishermen hate me when I'm on their uncrowded creek, unless they kayak. That airplane joke is old and stupid, but on overnight runs that rafts can navigate they do carry the beer, but I'd rather self support with some Wild Turkey in a place where rafts can't go. Tubers are cool, especially the gnar gnar ones who ran Gore, so it's not about the rubber in your craft, it's just that rafters tend think they're so bad-ass. Kayakers think they're bad ass too, but they are, especially if they own a creek boat and use it, or if they live somewhere (not the front range) where you can get air and then you're bad ass too. I think river surfers are bad ass too. And if you're a rafter and you really love the river and you're not claiming river god because you can run some class III rapids that you keep insisting to the customers (and probably yourself) are class IV then, you're o.k. by me. Actually I don care what you do as long as you truly love and show respect for the river, unless you're a rafter.
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #8

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Dempsey -

Got a job in Denver and I'm still pushing for graduate school so that I can become the next CEO of WorldCom. I'll hire you as my IT tech so we can wire billions of shareholder dollars to the Cayman Islands.

My last day in the "promised land" of $35 million dollar houses, $3.00/gallon for unleaded, and shithead tourists from Texas and NYC is on September 12.

Just kidding - you'll see me around plenty, so dry your eyes, little caterpillar.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #9

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Cool, what kind of job you doing? Yeah, don't remind me about the $35 million dollars houses and $3 gas. The only good thing is that my little hovel that I bought has now appreciated to just under $35million.

There we go, finally got someone bitter to write in, it's about time. I'm with Jeff...er PaddleBizzle. Nobody cares.

There are two types of people on the river, idiots and river people. They are all spread out among kayaks, rafts, canoes, tubes, rubber allogators, snorklers, and so on. The biggest difference is a kayak can only hold one idiot, whereas a raft can hold 6.

Once again, I hate everyone. If I'm kayaking, I throw poop at rafts, and if I am rafting, I plow over play holes full of kayaks with reckless abandon! Yeeee haaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww!!!
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #10

Denver, Colorado
RiverWrangler eats babies.