Looking for skills, patience and fun - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2009   #1

Looking for skills, patience and fun

I would like to learn to kayak, but have no gear and know no one in town with whom to hang out in/on water - yet.

Researched local instruction is either too costly or at inconvenient times.

I met current member of this site from out of town who suggested that I seek people in this forum who will play with me for free or little money and share gear, tips, and skills for a little bit until I join the high ranks...

How about it, huh?

steamboatnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Might also check out:

http://eddyflower.com/coyakers.aspx

I would say that getting at least some gear (5 essentials or the base 4 without the boat yet) is going to help out quite a bit as even the biggest of gear whores like myself have trouble "fully and functionally" outfitting a newcomer. Chances of someone having everything extra in somewhat your size so that its at least safe might be hard to come by......
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
commitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatnovice View Post
I would like to learn to kayak, but have no gear and know no one in town with whom to hang out in/on water - yet.

-for a little bit until I join the high ranks...
Kayaking ,learning to kayak (whitewater in particular) takes a cetain level of commitment, I would express that level as being fairly high, you can't really just 'dip a toe in.' For this reason I suggest you just save up for the formal instruction. . . . It will take you further than you think, and provide you with the right and the latest, most comfortable, equipment to get the proper start - price is usually justified. . . Plus, you will probably meet other newbies that are stoked to get out there with you.
Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009   #4

denver,lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatnovice View Post

I met current member of this site from out of town who suggested that I seek people in this forum who will play with me for free or little money and share gear, tips, and skills for a little bit until I join the high ranks...

How about it, huh?
Hi steamboatnovice, this is chino if you whant to learn to kayak I will help you I got the gear for you go to www.chinokayak.com and contact me cheers.chino
sarapiquichino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #5

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Barry Smiths kayak school

Go talk to Barry. He offers some classes through CMC that are less expensive than his regular classes. He will have all of the gear. This is also a good way to meet other newbies that you can boat with.
boatcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote