Looking for park and play in Portland, Oregon - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-28-2014   #1

Gunnison, 81230
Paddling Since: 2005
Looking for park and play in Portland, Oregon

I'm thinking about moving to portland. My buddies can't stop drooling over the creeking, but I love to playboat too. Any suggestions? The only thing that I could come close to finding was up from the north fork reservoir, but it's like 45 minutes away. That's a shitload of gas to be spending money on just for a surf.

wabisabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
The only wave in Portland is the Clackamette wave which comes in for one day in early April, subscribe to the PDXKayaker yahoo group for details. Other than that you are driving to Bob's Hole on the upper Clackamas or Spencer's Hole on the North Santiem. The Playground on the Wilson is fun when there are flows for it. There are other play spot too, but these are the main contenders.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
The only wave in Portland is the Clackamette wave which comes in for one day in early April, subscribe to the PDXKayaker yahoo group for details. Other than that you are driving to Bob's Hole on the upper Clackamas or Spencer's Hole on the North Santiem. The Playground on the Wilson is fun when there are flows for it. There are other play spot too, but these are the main contenders.
One thing worth mentioning too is that Spencer's Hole is good when almost everything else is running dry (North Santiam at 1000-1200 cfs). You can surf that wave in short sleeves in 85 degree weather in August because its dam fed.
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014   #4
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
It's always fun to mow down park'n'play boaters at Spencers.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #5

Gunnison, 81230
Paddling Since: 2005
Learch you seem like a dude with a real sense of humor and I might be one of those guys gettin' my ass handed to me lol.

Latterwagged, that's definitely a great thing to know. I've never lived even close to a dam fed wave before. Super awesome! I'm surprised that you can surf in dam fed water in a shorty. I guess I'm too used to bottom release. There's this hole that's absolutely insane below our dam here in gunni and you have to wear a full drytop even it's literally a hundred degrees out lol.

TriBri1 thanks for your epic info. You're is probably the most useful.

Have fun shreddin' everyone!
wabisabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
We have some 4 season rivers, but the real fun in Oregon is when there is some spring runoff or decent rain. Portland has a lot to offer, but there is always a little drive to get to the whitewater. The Clackamas and Santiam always have enough water for some fun, The Sandy more or less dries up in the summer. The White Salmon is always runnable, and is a step up from most of our Class II-III stuff. ( No play boating there )
There are a lot of coastal rivers that require rain to, but they can be real adventures only an hour away from home. We have an ocean that you can surf in any craft you want. Washington State has plenty to offer like the Lewis, Washougal, Cispus, Sky, Wind, White Salmon, and Klickitat. Skiing isn't much farther than Bob's hole on the Clackamas.
I've never been to Colorado, so I am biased. I'm sure I'd love it there. Here in Portland, I enjoy driving just a little bit out of town, the feeling I get when I leave town. There are so many people in Portland that don't even know that the upper Clackamas exists. There is such a difference in what the Clackamas looks and feels like above the Dams and below them, yet we are talking about ten miles that separate the 2.
Spencer's hole on the Santiam is a funnel, the river is about 15 feet wide where the wave is, great place to play. I've seen people so focused on surfing that they forget to look up and avoid the rafters and kayakers coming downstream. I spend a lot of time on the Santiam with my family in summer. Then we have some pretty good camping rivers too, like the John Day, Owyhee, and of course the Rogue. There are more, but those are a few.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #7
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The play that's been mentioned is pretty good. I haven't surfed fluffy muffin, but the stuff from the northwest is generally better than other colorado waves, because they trend to be waves not holes a lot of the time. I would add the washougal to the list (especially when it's high), emphasize the wilson a little more, suggest spencer's at slightly higher water, like 900-1400, and point out the eugene play, like lake creek and the mackenzie. And you should know how much bob's hole changes around year to year. It used to have a super narrow flow window, then it didn't, now it might again.

And if you're in portland you're about a day closer to skookumchuck. Drool......
leif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark