Looking for paddle buddies - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-19-2020   #11

Ft Collins, Colorado
James,

As for your question - I generally figure the water in Colorado gets going in May. There's boating before this (you can run Glenwood Canyon all year), but it's cold and most runs won't have water before this. Early runs include Cross Mountain (Yampa), Escalante Creek (the one in Colorado), and Piedra.

Late May through June and into July is the normal boating season. If you're planning a trip for boating, June is generally when you want to be here. But Colorado is a big state, drainages vary in elevation, some runs (like the Big South) are accessed by roads that are closed until the water is about gone, so you'll want to be flexible. You didn't say anything about the level or kind of rivers you're interested in, to this is all general. If it's a big year and you're an intermediate boater, you might find high water in mid-June is more than you bargained for. If you're a Cl V boater, just go for it. Either way, you'll want a copy of the guide - Whitewater of the Southern Rockies.

I don't think we'll be out of lockdown before June, so plan accordingly.

Happy boating!

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Thanks

Guys, thanks for the information. Due to covid stuff, I am now looking potentially arriving in CO in July.

I just have one general question, if anyone can help.

I am concerned about my work schedule preventing me from getting out to the water in the early mornings. I may be working nights, and will be waking up around noon/ 1PM. I will be in the Denver area, are there runs accessible within an hour or two?? Is it a thing for Denver folks to start getting on the road to kayak around noon? Not a huge fan of paddling alone. For example, I currently live 30 minutes from a couple fun stretches of water- able to get in the car at 5 PM (in summer) and get some paddling in.
JamesRiverGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRiverGuy View Post
Guys, thanks for the information. Due to covid stuff, I am now looking potentially arriving in CO in July.

I am concerned about my work schedule preventing me from getting out to the water in the early mornings. I may be working nights, and will be waking up around noon/ 1PM. I will be in the Denver area, are there runs accessible within an hour or two?? Is it a thing for Denver folks to start getting on the road to kayak around noon? Not a huge fan of paddling alone. For example, I currently live 30 minutes from a couple fun stretches of water- able to get in the car at 5 PM (in summer) and get some paddling in.
You should be fine, as a gerneral rule it could be harder to find paddling partners before noon unless the run warrants it. Kayaker stereotypes and normal work schedules also add credence to lots of evening paddling.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
Photographer | Geologist

Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRiverGuy View Post

James. get on Facebooks: Front Range Kayakers for paddling crews. People are paddling the local creeks, but being discreet due to teh unnecessary closure of lower clear creek. Water is coming up, and people are getting out and ignoring that "10 miles" thing.
Dejan Smaic is offline   Reply With Quote