Looking for ELF runs on western slope - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-09-2014   #1

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Looking for ELF runs on western slope

Got more rain in the forecast so some local rivers should be very doable. The Taylor is still good, San Miquel might come up quickly with all the snow up there, and Cross Mountain on the Yampa looks great. So anyone up for some great fall river runs. Saturday would work best for me, so lets see what comes up the best. Even the Lake Fork of the Gunny is a great ELF run above 220 so lets wait and see. Contact 970-497-6512.

gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i've always thought that with the perfect flow and willingness the Uncompahgre "Quality Quickie" below Ouray could be picked apart at an ELF flow.....Never tried it but I've sat there and looked at it a lot, I think a lot of it could go, just have to find that right balance of enough but not too much.
Old 10-10-2014   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
yea buddy! Im interested in cross mountain!!! and any other elf runs!! bee running cemetery on roaring fork a lot! its mellow but holding water vey well!
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014   #4

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I've actually scouted over 1 mile of that section below bridge and I will run it at low levels. Ran just below Dexter creek to a private pull-out way past KOA for a blast of a run earlier this year at 500 cfs. So anyways here is my list of contenders as of this morning. Taylor is at 150 out of dam, 230 at Almont. Lake Fork of Gunny is at 200 at Redbridge. San Miquel is at 240 at Placerville. I,m hoping Lake Fork or San Miquel will come up just a little more. Will check guages tonight again for final decision. Weather is suppose to be great Saturday everywhere mid to upper 60's. Give me a jingle westslope boaters.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
so I just watched a video of lower blue. it looks very scenic. and looks like the level will hold for another week. I have never done it... we should try to make it happen Gunther! ( I have done upper blue in a raft a few years ago) ...
Old 10-10-2014   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulOne View Post
so I just watched a video of lower blue. it looks very scenic. and looks like the level will hold for another week. I have never done it... we should try to make it happen Gunther! ( I have done upper blue in a raft a few years ago) ...
There's some really enjoyable holes and waves at and below this flow (I've run it at 550). Good enough action for me. Wall rapid is fun (center right, not too far right) and once you get out of the big stuff and the dams there's some fun little wave trains on the way out. Do it. Do it.

Splashy, splashy!
Old 10-10-2014   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
having never done it.. im a little concerned about the metal raft ripper??! id probably be bringing IK. Is it a non-issue?
Old 10-10-2014   #8

Steamboat, Colorado
I can't remember which dam the supposed metal raft ripper is in. I didn't see anything of the sort. But both dams are super easy to portage on the right side. I'm sure you'd be fine going over them. I watched an IK go over them at 550, as well as a big fishing raft that was reeling trout in as they went over the dam, no problem. Just watch your lines. Scout before you run them if you're uncomfortable, it's not difficult. I portaged- I'm a newbie. But they are runnable for sure... I've seen it with my own two eyes
Old 10-10-2014   #9

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Hi

Talked to gunther and I am probably doing the blue if other folks are. Which campground would be best? (Closest to run, scenic etc.). I will probably come up early sat morning and stay over sat night.
Chris
97zero 237 two5four5.
outwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I would suggest Elliott Creek, if its still open...

CAMP GROUNDS
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote