Looking for beta on Rio Verde in Mexico - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2012   #1
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Looking for beta on Rio Verde in Mexico

Last fall I was poking around for whitewater trips in Mexico. I contacted Grant at Agua Azul and he told me about a 7 day self support he runs on 90 miles of the Rio Verde, which he describes as whitewater on the entire stretch ranging all the way from class III-V. It sounds awesome, but the problem is, I haven't been able to make contact with him, and I need to start planning a trip now if I'm going to get out there this year. He describes this as being om the Oaxaca area in southern Mexico.

I found this site Mexico kayak/raft - Sierra Madre Oriental list of rivers and photos/slideshows up (SierraRios) with information on the Rio Verde, but it appears to be describing a region further north, so am thinking maybe it's a different one, but if it is, that looks pretty amazing too.

So, what I'm looking for are resources and information that could help me plan a trip for something of this nature in Mexico. Is anyone familiar with these sections of the Rio Verde? I'm more or less ignorant about this region, so I'm looking for any information to get me going: from finding a trustworthy guide that could to be used all the way to gathering information to set up the logistics myself.

Any information and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
you should contact rocky from sierra rios
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The Verde in the Cuidad Valles area is run fairly often- I've done the first canyon but not the second two (low water). The logistics on that one are OK; even if you self support the whole way you can resupply after Canyon 1 in that little town at a tiny mini-super. Looks like there are resupply points after Canyon 2 as well, but I can't say for sure. I'd guess that the shuttle from the Pinihuan (put-in town) to the end of the Santa Maria (Tamul) is about 3 hours each way. That would be a super fun adventure. Oh, and you'd want to plan this for October or early November; after that the water on both runs gets really low. I've driven all the way to Pinihuan to find no water & wasted a full day of boating.

But it's nowhere near Oaxaca region. So I'm sure that Grant is describing a different run.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There are a lot of Rio Verdes in Mexico! Sierra Rios has slideshows for the one in San Luis Potosi and another in Jalisco.There is a V plus not yet run section of the Verde in the Copper Canyon and the spectacular Barranca Sinforosa 73 km 4 low to v high.But, the one Grant is talking about is the Cunana -Colorado - Verde. (no photos or write up) 186 km class V. I remember reading an AW article about it 's exploration like 15 years ago.I 'll loan it to you if I can find it.There is another Verde run (combined with another river) in Oaxaca 160 km class 4 plus ( might be same river).

Are you looking for multiday outfitted /guided runs or independent day runs? Pretty cool easy access day runs in Chiapas like Tulija Salto de Jaguar, Jaguar Lazuli, La Sierra, and Novillero /Berlin.Don 't know why you can 't say A -G -U -A or A -Z -U - L on a kindle but that is what I meant not Jaguar Lazuli.
!
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Cayo, thanks for the reply. I clearly underestimated the Mexicans' love for describing things as green and the abundant amount of whitewater. I'm just gathering information, but yes, my interest was especially piqued when Grant described this 7 day multi-day section he does on (a) Rio Verde (he was talking about flying into Huatulco and staging from there).

So yeah, I was looking specifically for info on this trip, but if I can't make that happen, then I'd be curious about other worthy alternatives for good IV/V boating in Mexico. It's on my tick list for places to paddle. In general a guide would make my life easier for the short trip window I'd need to take, but if logistics are relatively straightforward I don't mind doing things on my own either.
Old 08-30-2012   #6

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Hey KFC,

I'd try contacting Grant again on kayakidaho.com. I remember having difficulties contacting him too regarding Mexico. He seems to be on his website regularly and replies to posts often. Sounds like an epic trip. Hope this helps.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Myself and a Buddy are also planning a trip to Mexico. We used to guide with a guy that runs a raft/kayak company down there. Ola Verde Expedicions is the name of the company. He is out of Hutaluco as well i believe. It would be sweet to see a good group down there this fall.
How r you getting your boats down? I have been trying to figure that out and seems really hard.
ScottyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
southern mexico

I hope your friend 's business takes off.You have two good rivers (Copalita and Zimatan) near Huatulco plus the ocean surf and stuff Rocky has explored.The Verde is more over by southern Veracruz so maybe combinable with that area (where there are boats available) .Oaxaca city is one of my favorite in Mexico, but not close to the coast .Purrto Escondido has world class surfing.
The gap in between southern Oaxaca and the central coast of Chiapas (up the coast from the Novillero and Berlin) is one of the last areas of Mexico not yet explored for whitewater.There are many rivers flowing to the Pacific around there.Check out the Zanatenco, near Tonala,on Google earth, a road leads to some rapids that look interesting, for example.
The isthmus of Tehuantepec is the narrowest part of Mexico, you can get over to the east coast relatively quickly.There are runs between the coast and Tuxtla and the road from Tuxtla to Teapa has the La Sierra alongside part of it.From Teapa it is easy to get to the Tulija and AGUA AZUL (many other rivers in the area) .There are also micro creeks and travertine falls to do mini. first D 's and hucks on, in the Tobasco / Chiapas border area.You could go to Comitan to getcat the accessible parts of the SAnto Domingo, the stuff from Hotel Charley.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks everybody for the feedback so far.

Scotty, I'm currently just in research mode (though time is closing in on me) and haven't committed to going down there, so haven't even looked into the boat situation. Do you guys have plans for when you're going to be down there and what you're planning on doing?
Old 09-01-2012   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
October 25th ish to November 15th ish. I have looked at flying boats down airlines really dont like it, i guess. Probably just use one that is already down there. But we are gunna fly a mini me down and try that out. Flying into mexico city and taking the bus the rest of the way down. Its 12 hours but $400 dollars cheaper. Should be a sweet trip im stocked to get down south and do some creek boating in warm water.
ScottyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote