Looking at crossovers - what size? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-05-2015   #1

Alpharetta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2015
Looking at crossovers - what size?

Greetings,

My name is Tina and I am looking into purchasing my first kayak. My husband is an experienced kayaker, and I am rather new at this. We are both looking at Crossovers. Top on my list are the Pyranha Fusion and the Dagger Katana.

We have a mix of river types around here in Atlanta from flat to white water, so it would be nice to have one that does a little bit of both. I don't plan on ever going over class III, and while I'm not quite at that point, it would be nice to have something I can grow into and not get bored quickly.

I am 5'8" and 140 lbs. Both of these kayaks come in two sizes (10.4/10.2, 27 inches and 9.7 and 9.8 25/26 inches wide. What are the advantages/disadvantages of either size? It seems to me that the larger one will be more stable, while the smaller size will handle better, but it's still not clear. I have done a ton of google searches, but can't seem to find anything.

Any help you guys can provide is much appreciated!

RiverNymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Also look at the Jackson Rogue. Comes in a 9&10 foot version.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #3

Alpharetta, Georgia
Thank you, Dave. I just realized that the Katana has no deployable skeg, so that model's out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
For you, go small.
The larges will almost certainly feel too big.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
They're all rather lethargic in the handling arena...and are all quite big. It's really like paddling a barge at times so if you're looking (or even considering) for something more sporty, I'd look elsewhere.
I stumbled on a Fluid Solo Expedition, bought it for the 'crossover' aspect, THEN realized it had some impressive WW characteristics. It doesn't have a skeg, so you may want to steer clear of it (pun intended). But...handling-wise, creek/river-wise, carving, etc., it is the best 'crossover' out there.

For the record, I have two XP9s and the Solo and love them. I've also paddled the Rogue. For flat water and little rapids, the XP9 is really awesome and you should look into both.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #6

Alpharetta, Georgia
Austin Kayak seems to have the best deals overall with no tax, free shipping and awesome packages that include paddles and life jackets (your choice of multiple brands). I can get a full package that includes those items for under $1200 shipped.

I can't find a deal like that on any other site. I do wish they carried the Jackson Rogue as that looks interesting too.

However, that package that they offer saves me several hundred dollars over buying it anywhere else.
Old 05-05-2015   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Liquid Logic Stinger XP is awesome. Wish I would have bought one... I have a Fusion medium. Fits me perfect at 5'7" - 150 lbs.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #8

Alpharetta, Georgia
Austin Kayaks only carries the small and the large - wish they did carry the medium as you are pretty close to my height and weight. I did call them, and they told me that I would fit the small no problem - they thought the large would most likely be too big.

Overall, the consensus I'm hearing though is that if you can go smaller, do it.
Old 05-05-2015   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Just a thought.
Any local boat shops having spring swaps?
Our local shop just had one this past weekend and I saw a few different used crossovers.
BTW, lotsa folks think crossovers don't do anything very well.
Another take is, get a boat, get on the water, and you'll find out what works and what doesn't and what you might want to sell and/or trade for.
Have fun!
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #10

Here and There, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I paddled the remix xp, the rogue and the fusion quite a bit before I settled firmly on the fusion. For someone less than 180# or 5'10", definetly by the 9' version.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
gjcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote