lookin' for paddlin friends at Telluride Bluegrass, and Durango too? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-14-2007   #1

lookin' for paddlin friends at Telluride Bluegrass, and Durango too?

Anyone want to show a fellow the local ropes? I'll be down in Durango this sunday, monday and tuesday... I hope to at least paddle the park in town.

then at the bluegrass fest wed thru sunday, if anyone wanted to hit the ledges section? heard that was just beautiful...?

I'll have email spottily throughout, post up if you want to meet up? I'll do anything up to IV-ish...

YEE HAW!!!

redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007   #2

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
ledges kinda sucks. a full day trip trough norwood canyon is nice though. your best bet is the san miguel. run from about 5 miles down from telluride to as far as you want to go. all class 3 and very scenic.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #3

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I'll be down for the entire Fest. as well. My buddy and I are considering the Upper A or Piedra.....most likely the Piedra since the Upper A is such a long run. Friday or Sat.....kinda depends on the shows we want to see.

San Miguel?? My gf is just starting to boat....would this be a good run to take her down or not???
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007   #4

oh yeah, norwood was what i heard was so nice. but day trip... hmm.

could maybe do that wednesday? but that's when all the newbies arrive. '

I only did the sawpit run at about 3-400, so it was easy, with a lot of rocks to avoid. we had one person tip and she pulled since it was only in a foot of water or so. basically no flipping since there's no room to roll, but it "should" be avoidable...

I'll be in town park, we'll have a decent camp set up with a dark blue ezup type thing, a grey winnebago tent(among others) and a teal peace sign flag. easy to spot. stop by!
Old 06-14-2007   #5

T ride, Colorado
I wouldn't suggest taking a newbie on the miguel. No eddy;s. Norwood canyon isn't too too bad but it is a long shuttle if you go all the way to ledges and there is a low head dam near the end that is mandatory stay left. Plenty of room to scout. Your close (2hrs) to the Daily in Moab, or go from ridgeway to the resevoir is great for beginners. Shake your booty for me

jenneral
jenneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #6

thanks for that heads up, we just won't stop (just kidding)

can one do norwood as less than a full day? what if we ran shuttle early maybe? I guess it's at least an hour, maybe more to naturita from telluride, if we were gung-ho we could leave super early, do the run and get back mid afternoon...

or maybe do norwood later on wednesday afternoon?

goodtimes, I could be interested in the piedra, never been there? I'd say I'm a very solid class III, but just starting to step into IV lately, with relative success? I am more than happy to run upper mish and lower rustic if that's any indication... but I'm overly cautious in most situations.

and saturday and sunday look pretty good for music, thursday might be the only day I'd miss much of?
Old 06-15-2007   #7

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
if you want to see music and boat the same day--the miguel is your best bet. great continuous class 3 10 minutes from the fest and plenty of put-in/takeout options. don't miss the avett bros. on thurs at 2 pm.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #8

T ride, Colorado
the shuttle to naturita is very long(two hours there and back) it's not a hitch hiker friendly neck of the woods either. GO for it if you can but it's still most of your day. Again I don't suggest taking a newbie on the miguel. there really are no eddies. But the section from placerville to beaver is more mellow still few eddy's. your going to be pooped for music. Good waves past norwood bridge( a few miles) have fun. ps remember the dam and go left near ledges.
jenneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluegrass