lookign for II and III runs in the fort collins area. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-11-2010   #1

omaha, Nebraska
Paddling Since: 2010
lookign for II and III runs in the fort collins area.

looking for some level II with mayeb a few III runs for 2 begginers in the denver/ fort collins area.... were from out of state and getting into kayaking...

Where do we get on at and where should stop at? please try to be specific as we dont know the area very well....

hopefully someone is willing to help us newbies out on this!

r1yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010   #2

Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
You need:
Whitewater of the Southern Rockies
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #3

omaha, Nebraska
Whitewater of the Southern Rockies is the New Testament to class I-V+ in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Wyoming

Whitewater of the Southern Rockies covers 400 runs in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Wyoming. This is the most comprehensive catalog of class I-V+ kayaking and rafting sections ever compiled.

Three hundred full-page color photos, a user-friendly design, succinct river descriptions, and precise beta-boxes make this the whitewater guidebook of choice.

is this really going to have what im looking for? i guess whats another $50 ontop of what i just spent on yaks and gear.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010   #4

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Put in on at Shields between Vine and Willox at the river bridge, take out at the park at the end of Woodlawn Drive off of College. Do NOT run the diversion dam, if you see a horizon line get out of the river because you've gone too far. There is a bike path the whole way so you can get out and walk if needed but you shouldn't need to unless you swim.

If you feel confident after the town run move up to Filter Plant, you can find directions for it at eddyflower.com or in the flows section here. Always wear your PFD and helmet and never go alone.

If you still like kayaking after Filter Plant go buy WWSR because you'll need it.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #5

omaha, Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Put in on at Shields between Vine and Willox at the river bridge, take out at the park at the end of Woodlawn Drive off of College. Do NOT run the diversion dam, if you see a horizon line get out of the river because you've gone too far. There is a bike path the whole way so you can get out and walk if needed but you shouldn't need to unless you swim.

If you feel confident after the town run move up to Filter Plant, you can find directions for it at eddyflower.com or in the flows section here. Always wear your PFD and helmet and never go alone.

If you still like kayaking after Filter Plant go buy WWSR because you'll need it.
so i can swim the "diversion dam"? does the bike path stop at the dam also?

what is "wwsr" sorry im a newbie!!!
Old 05-11-2010   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1yfz View Post
so i can swim the "diversion dam"? does the bike path stop at the dam also?

what is "wwsr" sorry im a newbie!!!
NO, I said do NOT run the diversion dam, this means do not swim, boat or otherwise float over ANY diversion dams you run into. The bike path does not end at the diversion dam, it ends before it where you need to get out of the river. Go to the takeout BEFORE you run it in your boats so you know where to get out.

WWSR = White Water of the Southern Rockies, the book mentioned above, I also highly recommend you purchase and read a swiftwater rescue manual before you kayak because your obvious lack of river knowledge is scary and can get you and your friends killed.
Old 05-11-2010   #7

omaha, Nebraska
Quote:
NO, I said do NOT run the diversion dam, this means do not swim, boat or otherwise float over ANY diversion dams you run into. The bike path does not end at the diversion dam, it ends before it where you need to get out of the river. Go to the takeout BEFORE you run it in your boats so you know where to get out.

WWSR = White Water of the Southern Rockies, the book mentioned above, I also highly recommend you purchase and read a swiftwater rescue manual before you kayak because your obvious lack of river knowledge is scary and can get you and your friends killed.
sounds good...

we are takeing a private class in july... im shure they will cover everyhing there..

everybody starts somewhere!
Old 05-11-2010   #8

Land of Lovin, Colorado
have fun and be safe!
Old 05-11-2010   #9

omaha, Nebraska
Quote:
have fun and be safe!
thanks...

hey you seem to know the area well.... could you tell me if from Chatfield Dam in South Platte Park to downtown Denver’s Confluence Park (15miles) would be a good run for newbies?
Old 05-11-2010   #10

Land of Lovin, Colorado
I have never boated Chatfield down, but I'd say that's a long day on the river and some of the manmade drops are stout at medium levels. I'd suggest lapping Confluence park or the series of drops below it if you want to paddle in Denver. You can put in by REI and take out just below the slalom park where you'll see gates hanging over the water, don't swallow the water it's really dirty.