Longmont Whitewater Park - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2013   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Longmont Whitewater Park

The City of Longmont has restarted the design phase of the Pavlakis District Park Master Plan in downtown Longmont. The site has been identified to include a proposed whitewater park on the St. Vrain river. On Thursday February 21st a public meeting will be held to gather input for appropriate site amenities. If you have an interest in expanding the river amenities show up and make your voice heard. Here is more information: St Vrain Phase 11, Disposition of Open Space, PWNR, Longmont, Colorado

JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013   #2

West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
Seems like there is only enough water in the Vrain through Longmont to support boating for about 2 months of each year.
Old 02-14-2013   #3

Paddling Since: 1993
What do you mean restarted? Why did the process stop last year?
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013   #4

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
"Related engineering issues were investigated and now are understood as to their impact on the project site"...all it says regarding the delay

Hopefully the RICD would allow for longer than a 2 month boating season...probably not this year tho
Old 02-14-2013   #5

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
What should really happen is a rehabilitation of the park in Denver. Imagine a park like Reno, with cartwheeling and looping potential 12 months of the year in CO.

And why is it that the leading company behind WW parks in the US is based out of Boulder, but all the front range parks are so junky? If there was a decent park, I might even think about buying a playboat.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle View Post
What should really happen is a rehabilitation of the park in Denver. Imagine a park like Reno, with cartwheeling and looping potential 12 months of the year in CO.

And why is it that the leading company behind WW parks in the US is based out of Boulder, but all the front range parks are so junky? If there was a decent park, I might even think about buying a playboat.

Agreed, but totally unrelated.

That's great that Longmont wants to do this.

Not sure where the RICD water would come from, but the St. Vrain trickles through there except at peak flow as well as bigger years.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #7

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle View Post

You'd really go play boating October through late march????
I want some of the drugs your on.
Seriously, this is a great potential for more whitewater options. Thanks for letting us know.
Will my voice really matter or will it boil down to the powers that be recognizing the potential financial impact to the community. They should take a lesson from Lyons and Golden (along with others) and take note of the financial gain. Not just through visitors but bringing in new residents.

I potentially could create a PP presentation if that would help. Or more realistically I could chat with someone that may live in schlongmont that could go and present a PP presentation.
Let me
Know
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #8

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Should say "you're on"

Not your on

Hate autocorrect

And I would like some of the drugs you're on.
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think there is a plan already to redo Confluence, something about a signature wave /feature on the left channel by REI.They are going to redesign the stretch by Gates that has a couple spots at higher flows.They already did work around 8 th to 13 th /Zuni some new drops that look lame but I 've not seen them with much water.Leigh Gulch has 3 pairs of drops with good access and semi new large parking picnic area.Littleton could make one of them or one pair into one good hole, just widen the fourth one.

The main problem with Front Range parks is no water.Union and the waves between Confluence and Coors Field are great with good flows, albeit skanky water.People used to like Golden but it seems to need tweaking.Boulder could be better the best spots are not in the playpark.Lyons is decent at good flows.Never done Pueblo doesn't 't seem to be praised or criticized much. Loveland could possibly make one.

Is the Longmont park below the confluences with Lefthand, Boulder, and So. Boulder?not that they carry much water either.All for more urban parks but without water it is semi pointless.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013   #10

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Good to here about Confluence, it would seem to be in the best interests of Denver for an improvement. And I take back the comment on no good parks. The one by Dumont is pretty sweet when there is water.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark