Long flat water /green - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-09-2008   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Long flat water /green

Anyone ever done the green from Dutch John all the way to the confluence with the Colorado? Just spent a couple days up there and it is so beautiful.

How long did it take?

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Where's Dutch John?

I've done from Mineral Bottom down. 5 outstanding days @ a very slow pace.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #3

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
You can put in below Flaming Gorge Damó nice canyon. But the crush of $$$-mad outfitters makes it impossible to rig there for a long trip. The first takeout ramp (above Red Canyon) is a good place to load gear & food.

There are few rapids and much scenic meandering and birdwatching between there and the Gates of Lodore (NPS permit required). In warm weather the flatwater reaches can be buggy.

Below Split Mountain Gorge is another long stretch of meanders, irrigation shunts, and rusty junk car bodies. Then more of the same, to Desolation and Grey Canyons (another BLM permit). Then more ag stuff with dams, to Green River, Utah. Then Labyrinth and Stillwater. Slow and gorgeous.

Best description of the entire stretch might be found in River by Colin Fletcher (A.A. Knopf, 1997). Could be a great long trip, if you can work out the logistical part (and the permits).
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008   #4

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Thanks,

I'm thinking about this in a touring kayak. I couldn't handle paddling a raft through that much Wyoming wind flat water.

Chip, what is your estimate on time?
Old 05-12-2008   #5

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Thanks,

I'm thinking about this in a touring kayak. I couldn't handle paddling a raft through that much Wyoming wind flat water.

Chip, what is your estimate on time?
Never done it as a single trip. Colin Fletcher's book is likely the best source. You might want to use two boats: a touring yak for the flat reaches and a whitewater boat for Lodore & Split Mountain, Deso, etc.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote