Long Draw Road closed for 2013!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-17-2013   #1

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Long Draw Road closed for 2013!!!

I believe this is still in process but it is very likely that Long Draw Road will not open at all this summer. Finally we've got the prospect of good flows for a Big South season and apparently the contract the Forest Service has with the company doing the Pine Beetle logging gives them the authority to close off access for the entire season. Seems like there should be a way to open it on weekends when they're not logging or just stop the logging operations for July or whatever but either way not a stoker at all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013   #2

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
F'n unreal...one of these days we'll get a AW contract to open the gate.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013   #4

Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
WTF

Tell me you're kidding.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
God, why have you forsaken me?

Is there an e-mail address and phone number where we can direct complaints? The same sort of thing happened in 2011 as well, we were just fortunate enough to have a record breaking snow year such that we were still able to get in there late in the season. Isn't this land supposed to be for public use? Boaters are a major user group of this land and we're consistently being blocked from access to the best run in the entire state of Colorado. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for some accommodation here.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #6

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Kevin, I've been pondering the same thing and trying to come up with the most effective way to attack the situation. I truly believe at this point that the Canyon Lakes Ranger District will use any and every reason possible to keep Long Draw closed for as long as they can and/or apparently, to not open it at all. They are logging up there and there is definitely some mild danger along the road for falling trees because of the pine beetle epidemic but under this rationale essentially every other road at the same elevation on Forest Service land in Northern Colorado should be closed.

I'm trying to research it now, and maybe a lawyer who's worked with the Forest Service before could help figure out if there's any laws they are breaking by not having some kind of public process for the logging operations and/or for denying access to the public lands unreasonably. I've got a call in to the district office and left a message with the decision maker. Here is the link to the closures page with the number to call Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forests Pawnee National Grassland - Recreation
We could start a petition to open it but not sure how much that would help except maybe for future access so it wouldn't hurt I don't think. My other thought is to team up with Tout Unlimited/DOW/RMNP and other major user groups to file some kind of formal complaint and/or lawsuit. I'll also talk with Nathan at AW today and see what he thinks. Open to other ideas as well. This is bullshit and it needs to be fixed.
Old 06-18-2013   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverWrangler View Post
just stop the logging operations for July or whatever
Yes, because those logging companies that are running on strict timetables and budgets have all the desire in the world to "just stop" making money for a month because some kayakers want to go boating.

Completely understand the frustrations, and it sucks that it is happening. Maybe cooperation might work, I don't know. Hopefully it will. But that comment was a little silly.
Old 06-18-2013   #8

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Yeti, it ain't just kayakers wanting to use the road, it's got more use than probably any other primitive zone in the district AND the logging company making money is not the task of the forest service - it is to manage the land s for us the public! Maybe it's far fetched that they would actually do it but in reality those are our lands to access and it's their job to manage them for our access and use.
Old 06-18-2013   #9
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What's confusing to me is why the road need to be closed while logging. Cant they just let people drive by as they log? I mean major road construction projects happen without closing the roads all together. Seems like there should be a way. I am interested to know if they log on the weekends as well... It would be a bummer to only be able to get up there on the weekends but if they are not logging then, its better than nothing.
Old 06-18-2013   #10

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
closure

I've never been up Long Draw Rd itself and am merely speculating, but the closure could be due to moving log trucks up and down the road. They're large, hard to stop, and most likely could not reverse up the road if heading out with a load.

Let's just hope someone does mitigation regarding sediment transport that will result from these operations.

Matt
TennesseeMatt is offline   Reply With Quote