Loma to Westwater shuttle - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-28-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Loma to Westwater shuttle

Anyone running Loma to Westwater this weekend that would like to run a shuttle together? I'm planning to launch Friday evening (leaving Denver after work around 4ish) and take out Monday morning.

Thanks!

chuteyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012   #2

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Your cutting it close to night! Arrive at Loma by 8 pm ,30 min to rig, on river by 9 pm...you may make Rattlesnake or Bull Canyon camp sites by 10:30???It will be fun for sure but it will be dark! Have fun, be safe
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #3

Summit County, Colorado
Friday night will be a full moon (or close to it). We've night floated Ruby/Horsethief many times, putting on as late as midnight one time. We've done it with a full moon, no moon (stars were insane), when it's been overcast, and foggy. It's a cool float at night and very peaceful. We've gone all the way to Cottonwood before, because Rattlesnake and Bull were taken. There is a new camp on river right near Rattlesnake and Bull as well. Just listen for moving water so you can make sure to miss those gravel bars. Stay left in the beginning for sure. Love a good night float - have fun!
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It will be a long day/night depending on which site you have the permit for. If you miss your camp you might end up in May Flats -20 miles from Loma.
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...20Calendar.pdf
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #5

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Come on folks. Someone is just asking for help with a shuttle, not critique of travel plans.
edd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #6

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuteyeah View Post
Anyone running Loma to Westwater this weekend that would like to run a shuttle together? I'm planning to launch Friday evening (leaving Denver after work around 4ish) and take out Monday morning.

Thanks!
Do you know where you are camping? If it is not Rattlesnake or Bull Draw you will get to your camp well after dark even if your boat is rigged on a trailer leaving Denver at 4pm. Add in shuttle and traffic which Interstate 70 will be a parking lot at 4pm this Friday probably all the way to Georgetown or even the Tunnel, it will be late. Thinking like edd23 their plans could be to do a late full moon float. Maybe because its ruby or you are new to the buzz people think you dont know what you're doing.
Old 08-29-2012   #7

G.J., CO
Paddling Since: 1990
I stayed in the new upper camp on the right, north side, earlier this summer and it is a nice little camp with lots of possible tent sites. Lot's of gobblers in the morning. Can't remember the name of it though.
Eddy Groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #8

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm also looking to shuttle Friday...but not via the moon...sorry chuteyeah. I plan on being there sometime around noon on Friday and I am taking out Sunday. If anyone is interested let me know. Thanks!
Highside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #9

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
@edd23: no one is critiquing his travel plans, as a family of boaters were just looking out for our brother and giving him helpful advise and expectations so that he will be successful and have a good time. Breath
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #10

I've done multiple late evening and night launches from Loma. It's awesome scenery everytime. The beavers are tail slapping friendly, stars are sick, especially during a meteor shower, and my daughter sleeps on the raft when it gets real late. Full moon is fun as well, and with long kayaks you can launch Friday evening, cruise to BR camps to sleep, then cruise to the Westwater put-in in the morning, where you can grab your playboat for the Westy weekend trip. If you are short on time, night time paddling can help squeeze in some great trips, and for me one of the greatest things about camping on the river is the ability to be on the water in the late evening and early morning hours.

OP, check your PM, on the DL, to the RHT. Or something.