Lodore q's for a newb - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-29-2007   #1

Lodore q's for a newb

Hi all. I've got a permit for August 4. Looking for beta on the gates of lodore canyon -

specifically:

Is 3 nights/ 4 days a good time from the station to Split Mtn?

What's the best way to ensure you pre-reserve the best sites? So far I've got Jones Hole, Ripple and not Island.

What's the best value river map out there?

Is there a groover station nearby the take out!!

Thanks!

bula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2007   #2

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Lucky you - Lodore is my favorite trip! Since you are launching during "high" season, you are only allowed 4 days (you can apply for an additional day at a charge of $35, I think, but this usually screws you as far as campsites and is not a sure thing to get it). The Dinosaur Ranger Office assigns your campsites so, if you've got Rippling Brook (I assume?) and Jones Hole (which #?) you should have another one assigned. At low flow, which you should expect, given the (lack of) snowpack, I'd recommend Cove or Island Park which will still be a haul, but camping at Jones Hole your last night makes for a very long day to the takeout. I use the Evans & Belknap Dinosaur River Guide which is as good as any I've seen as far as river maps. And, there is a groover dump right at the Split Mountain take-out, so you should be all set.

I think that addressed your questions - have a ball
CWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #3
EZ

In my opinion, Island Park campsite sucks - buggy and little shade. We just did a trip a few weeks ago and our last camp was at Jones Hole and getting out to the takeout wasn't too bad. There is lots of current once you get into Split Mountain, regardless of flow. I agree that Cove is a good camp. Not that much shade, but a really pretty spot with a decent beach.

Apply for that extra day, you'll probably get it. In fact, we got an extra day at Jones Hole and laid over there. I don't agree that asking for the extra day will screw you on your camp sites.
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007   #4

so I'm on this same trip and am wondering about the shuttle. I spoke with the permit ranger and she said the putin to the takeout is about 2hrs. anyone have any disagreements?
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #5

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
so I'm on this same trip and am wondering about the shuttle. I spoke with the permit ranger and she said the putin to the takeout is about 2hrs. anyone have any disagreements?

Hmmph - I would say it's closer to 2-1/2 to 3 hours each way. Do yourselves a favor and PAY for a shuttle - it'll be the best $100+ you'll spend and will save you nearly a full day (unless your first campsite is Wade & Curtis, in which case go ahead and spend your day on the road, because you'll only be on the river about an hour)!
CWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #6

The shuttle length depends a lot on the route, the vehicle, and the road/weather conditions. The paved route, through Maybell, is 3 hours. The backway shortcut is bumpy dirt that gets bad with rain (none recent), and the speed depends on the vehicle. 2 hours sounds reasonable.

Having River Runners shuttle the vehicle costs $130. If you save 2 people 4 hours driving each, not to mention the others waiting and the wear & tear on the additional vehicle, the $130 doesn't sound so bad.

This is one of the best trips ever. Take sun screen and a camera.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #7

we're doing both actually. since we've got 17+ people and five rafts, we're meeting the biggest truck and trailer at the takeout after each car drops their gear and passengers hopefully, then piling everything and everyone onto the rig and driving the whole kit back to the putin. then we pay for the shuttle on one vehicle instead of eight.

I guess it'll likely become three knowing this group...

**shuttling genius courtesy of Mark B here on the buzz
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #8

Indian Hills, Colorado
You can save yourself some time by leaving a few cars in Maybell. I think the general store will let you use some of their parking for a small fee.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote