Lodore & Trailers? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-08-2013   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Lodore & Trailers?

I was wondering if anyone has any updates on the Lodore put in and trailers? I heard the ranger at the put in isn't allowing people to drive on the sand bar due to people getting stuck? I called river office and Kelly said she couldn't speak for the ranger at the put in.

I haven't derigged my boat in ages and would hate to have to de-rig it at put in just to carry the thing 40 feet.

If anyone has any info on this topic, please let me know.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013   #2

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
When are you launching?
Old 07-08-2013   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
We did Gates at the end of May before the water came up. We did not drive out to the river at the wishes of the ranger. We did not see any tire tracks on the sandbar. We had to de-rig the boats a good bit and carry them along with all of our gear about 50 yards. We had a big group so it was not awful but it was not fun. Have a great trip!
Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Don't see much chance of backing it into the water. If you catch the highest water in the power cycle (late afternoon) there is a channel closer to the ramp- we were able to lighten up one big cat and drag it to the main channel this way.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Lodore Ramp

Here's a picture from last Tuesday morning (7/2). My boat was not rigged and there was some mud so just carried gear. Not a problem with helpers. We had one guy with a fully loaded rig who dropped it at the edge of the ramp and then pulled through the mud and water on Monday evening when the water was up. You can see some tire tracks but do not know if that was ok'd or not. No Ranger was around and the guys checking us in were volunteers not NPS law enforcement and did seem pretty mellow.
Have a good trip
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lodore 2013 002.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	6593  
kwagunt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #6

Yeah I don't think you will want to drive on that sand. It will take a lot less time to de-rig than get towed out of the sand. But why de-rig the whole thing? Just take off the heavy stuff and get a bunch of folks on each side to help carry. We launched 2 weeks ago and maybe the sand has firmed up some but our crew chose to de-rig even without anyone telling us due to the loose sand.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Lodore Ramp

FYI-
The sign in the picture is about the Fire Ban and does not regard driving (or not driving) on the sandbar.
Mike
kwagunt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Thanks a lot for the replies. I guess I will rig differently this time around and carry the heavy stuff. My group was going to be small, so not enough man power to carry the boat. We will figure something out though.

oarframe, launching on July 27th. Still in the air though due to inlaws health....

Another quick question, I heard there was a fire ban in force in the area now? I am still required to carry the firepan though, correct? Is charcoal allowed? Propane?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-08-2013   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Get there early, bring a few extra beers and I bet people from another group can help you carry.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #10

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Our group launched on June 28th. We all drove out on to the sand to launch, along with all the other groups that launched on that day. None of our group even came close to getting stuck. We all had 4 wheel drive. Just remember, on sand, speed is your friend.