Lochsa River Whitewater Video! - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-27-2011   #1

Missoula, MT, Montana
Paddling Since: 2010
Lochsa River Whitewater Video!

Hey guys. This trip was my first whitewater trip and it was amazing. Looking at the river from the road and knowing I was about to raft that was a crazy feeling and jumping straight into Class IV and V rapids as a first timer was awesome! Anyways my brother and I took along a couple GoPro's and got some pretty sweet footage. Anyways just thought some of you guys would like to check it out. The river was running at 10+ feet that day and was pushing 20000cfs.

montana_wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011   #2

Missoula, MT, Montana
Be sure to watch it in HD.
Old 05-27-2011   #3

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Was that the guide cussing the swimmer out? Or the paddlers?
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post
Was that the guide cussing the swimmer out? Or the paddlers?
I don't know, either way it's pathetic. He's making no effort to get closer to the swimmer and actually make a rescue even though the channel is wide open. If this is a training group though I get it.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #5

Missoula, MT, Montana
Ya the guide was yelling at the paddlers. One paddler is supposed to help the swimmer while the rest keep the boat in control and in the right part of the river because often the rapids lead straight into another. It's a bunch of bartenders and restaurant employees on the float so he knew he could get fired up with them and it's serious that they can get that person back into the boat when the river is running like that.
Old 05-28-2011   #6

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
Sweet left line in lochsa falls... Please tell me you didn't tip that guide!!
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #7

Class V rapids?

As far as the left line at the falls, no commercials are going to run the main line at 10+ ft.

As to the guide yellling, not sure cussing was appropriate, but the swimmer was just floating and the paddlers weren't doing much to assist and the guide is pretty helpless in a paddle boat in that situation. Having swimmers at that level can get serious real fast. Even as a paying guest you are expected to get on your belly and swim as fast as you can. If you can't handle that you shouldn't be on the river at that flow. Sometimes people need a shock to get them going in that kind of situation.
idaho_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #8

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2002
For all those panty lace and doily boaters out there that can't handle a F-bomb, get out of my boat! Commercial guiding can be a female canine when the Microsoft bus shows up with a bunch of DNFers on the local IV expecting a sunny spring booze cruise. When it comes down to it I'm gonna let you know how hard I want you to paddle or where you stand in the nature of things Staying up right or spending all my non existent tip money on paddler/swimmer/boat flip beer fouls that the brothers (and sisters) help clean up is and easy decision. Plus, it doesn't help when they tip you more after their "death defying" swim and their buddies stiff you for staying in the boat. Not a trash for cash kind of guy but you show up with a perm, eye liner, or gopro and it's game on!
tripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I hear you tripple, you have to do what you have to do. As a former giude, I would do the same in that situation. Even on a private trip. Sometimes you have to light a little fire under your crew's ass.
Old 05-28-2011   #10

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
glenn, have you ever been a pro guide? ever have a situation that seemed harmless get out of control real fast. if you had you'd appreciate the guide's tone a bit more. It may seem like he's just being rude, but that water is really cold and that swimmer is losing energy fast, it is important to get to him ASAP. That is why he yelled at his crew, if he cussed it was only to emphasize the urgency of NOW!!! Looks like a fun run though.

Tags
lyons creek clinic